DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax NDigital (ND)

James, Mark, 17-35 is outstanding both optically and structurally. 24-85 is almost as sharp as 1.4/50, but not as durable and it has creeping zoom. 70-300 ismy biggest disappointment. While it is excellent optically, build quality is not something to write home about. It looks solid, but mine broke without any obvious reason, and kyocera says that it was an impact damage. $395
sad.gif

Actually, my studio tests were of the Canon 16-35 L and Nikon 17-35 AFS. Both, while good, simply did not equal fixed focal lengths ( Canon 14/2.8 L, 24/1.4 L and 35/1.4 L; Nikon 14/2.8, 18/2.8 and 28/1.4 ASPH).

I got a Contax 17-35 and tested it also. About the same performance as the Canon for a lot more money. I thought it was a touch flat in contrast. I also thought that it was a loud operating lens. Sent it back and got another one, same results, sent it back. The 24-85 is okay for most non critical shots, the 50/1.4 is a little disappointing on the ND, and for some reason my 85-300 seems pretty good
( go figure?). I'll just wait for a 18mm or 20mm fixed if they ever get around to it.

The best W/A zoom I have used to date is Leicas' new 21-35/3.5 ASPH. This one does just about deliver fixed focal length quality. Those Solms boys know how to do it IMO.

Marc thanks for writing more about these lenses. Based on your evaluation, I'm getting concerned about my decision to buy the NX and the 24-85 in the next months. Starting to wonder if maybe I should be buying non-N Contax gear, going manual focus. Guess I better study the options more. -Lynn

> I have primarily been using the 24-85 on both my N1 and my ND and have been very happy with the results! For comparison, I have the 28-85 > on an AX and find the N series lenses to be as good.

Michael.

>

Lynn, it all depends on what you want the lens(es) for. Manufacturers can claim that a zoom is reaching manual lens quality, but come on now, it just can't be with all those moving elements. However, if you are just shooting general photography, rather than architecture or critical
commercial applications, these lenses are fine. I have a couple I use for general shooting because they are convenient and easier to carry than a bunch of fixed focal lengths. I would never go on vacation with 6 lenses in tow where 2 zooms would do the job.

Lynn,

I think Marc is absolutely right. It really depends on your personal needs and budget. If you simply ready reviews, you will be very confused since all products have pro and con reviews. I think overall Marc and others have been giving Contax very positive reviews. There is no one system idea for everyone since every photographer has different requirement and taste. I used the N1 and 24-85mm for two years. I have no complain. It is the best combo for the money IMO, and I am very happy with them. Now my Nikon system just sits in the closet as backup. For most still life and other critical works , I use my 4x5 camera.

If possible, try out the NX and 24-85 zoom first. You will not be disappointed.

Albert

Thanks Marc and Albert, I appreciate your thoughts on this. Wish I could test out the equip first before buying, but that's not really an option. In reality, I am probably thinking too hard about it all. Besides, after the 24-85, the next purchase (when budget allows) will be either the 85, or the 100 for more serious portrait shots (environmental portraits), both well up to snuff for commercial work. Thanks again. Lynn << who is going to stop worrying now ;)

Hey boys! Now it's official. Kyocera posted updated RAW Developer and new firmware for download at
http://global.kyocera.com/prdct/optical/ndigitalsoft/index.html

Interestingly, neither Contax USA nor Contax UK have a hint of it on their web sites. There goes Contax support again :)

I have just upgraded RAW Developer and put the firmware in without any problems at all, except, when you unzip the firmware, it creates a folder with a name in japanese, so, if you don't have extended code page in Windows, you may have a pretty nasty problem to deal with :) I have not tried Mac, but on a PC it can be avoided by unzipping the firmware diretly to a CF card and then movind CONTAX folder from that japanese folder to the root. No big deal.

From several test shots that I have made and develped, both the firmware and the new RAW Developer were well worth the wait.

Irakly,

thnak you for the heads up. But I would be still coutious with this link. It seems to be the same that I had before and which were NOT the official one.

As long as there is no link from the official Contax sites, I would be cautious to use this link. In case there is a system/software crash of the ND with this new release, I doubt that this would be fixed under Contax warrantee.

Just my 2 cents

Dirk

Dirk, it is as official as it gets. I wrote to Kyocera, Japan and they say that's exactly the stuff that Contax USA will have a link to. Ona safe side, one still may want to hold back on the firmware upgrade, but I see nothing dangerous about the new RAW Developer as anyone can reinstall the first version at any time should the need arise (I just don't see why).

Back