DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax & Olympus

S

spluff

Hello all,

I've seen an adaptor that allows C/Y lenses to fit onto the Olympus E1. Has anybody tried this option or do they know of anyone who has - and how did they find it?

Thanks, Saras

Hi Saras,
That sounds a really exciting prospect. I would certainly be interested in that and I bet many others would too. Any idea if all the functions work? Auto focus no doubt couldn't work but other functions such as open aperture metering and aperture priority are important I think.
I love my Zeiss lenses and don't want to forgo the large investment already made by switching to another brand but I would like to try digital proper.
Where did you see the adapter?
Best wishes,
John

Hi John,

In the States, Cameraquest have it listed on their web site. In the UK, apparently SRB Film could get/make you one.

As to the technical aspects, this is from the Cameraquest site:

"No glass elements to degrade image, infinity focusing. Stop down TTL ambient light or flash metering, as well as stop down AE priority at shooting aperture."

Like you, John, I'm looking to take my Zeiss lenses into the digital age. I also have a bellows set-up in the C/Y mount which cost me a fair bit and I'm desperate to use it with a digital camera. I could go down the ND1 route for macro - but the bellows extension costs a fortune!

If nothing emerges from Photokina for the C/Y lenses I'm going down the Olympus E route (apparently they have a new DSLR coming out) along with the adaptor for the Zeiss.

Would prefer a Contax - but in life we can't have it all!!
crazy.gif

Cheers, Saras

Thanks for that Saras. That sounds encouraging. I have just had a look at the Cameraquest site, thanks - $175 probably is not too bad as it says you can leave the adapter on the camera and just change the lenses, so you would only need one adapter.
I think I will wait and see what Photokina brings too. I would love it if there was to be a Contax digital body for C/Y lenses but I can't see it happening although they still suport C/Y with the Aria and new RX, so I hope I'm wrong.
The E1 appealed to me from the start and it seems to get generally good reviews in most areas but I had thought I would wait to see what the second generation one was like and I didn't want to have to buy new lenses. I also thought it might be a bit smaller.
Roll on Photokina!
Cheers,
John

I was also tempted by the E1/adaptor option. However, the crop factor on the E1 is 2X and you'll need the very expensive 15mm CONTAX lens to get a modest 30mm wide-angle. Of course the tele-side should benefit.

Back