CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Contax S2b

G

maybe this is a stupid idea: i think the s2/s2b is a creation using the fx-2-body.

G

dont forget to check your rewind knob for film-tension before shooting your first shot. maybe you have not mounted film correctly...this happened once with me in heremitage-museum in leningrad/st.petersburg. but i did not check before but fortunately 2 min, after shooting started. i could repeat.

G

Dirk, your explanation is perfectly comprehendible, thanks. I´ve never experienced any "self-winding" problems with my S2, but I agree that this might happen under unfavorable circumstances.

One point I´d like to add to the review is the viewfinder leakage problem, which has been discussed at length on the contaxslr-list some time ago. If you don´t shade the viewfinder during long time exposures, light leaks may cause problems. (This has happened to me and others.)

Best regards,
Uwe

G

I spoke to Kyocera UK who checked an S2 and confirmed that the shutter speeds in the viewfinder are red on black (which is why I could not see them).Otherwise I liked the camera and would have had another. They said that the RTS111 display is red on blue.
John

G

Thanks Rico.=20

I see that there is no red from your illustration. It is a big help to = be able actually to see the viewfinder. It looks a very clear = viewfinder. Perhaps I should try one of those.The chap at Kyocera must = have been mistaken.

I'm most impressed with the picture of the viewfinder and wonder how = you took it.

Cheers,

John

G

I find the RTS III VF comfortable to use: bright, even illumination, and easy to see all corners (high eye-point). Not cheap, though. You can gather more opinions in the RTS III section.

Shooting through the VF was a simple matter of placing my old Nikon CP-900 digicam against the Contax eye-piece. AF and LCD screen were
helpful here.

G

Rico,
I shall have to check it out.
I don't have a digicam but it was a very impressive result and very helpful.
Thanks again,
John

G

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a secondhand S2. My local dealer has one in stock, and I had a wee look at it today. I've loooked on this forum and at other internet sites, and it seems to be a camera that polarises opinion. The dealer had a 45mm f2.8 'pancake' lens in stock, and I really liked the feel of it. After reading all the reviews, I was eager to try the shutter. The problem is I've not really used a 35mm SLR, so I'm not sure if the 'vibration' would cause more camera-shake than 'normal'. It seemed that the most 'clatter' occurred when the mirror was returning at the end of the exposure, and I think the camera moved but I'm not sure if this was before/during/after the exposure. I normally use a 10x8" and 5x4" camera and I think I prefer a basic camera. I recently bought an old Rollei 35SE with Sonnor lens, and I thought that was great fun with its scale focussing and manual control. Unfortunately it met with an untimely death - I dropped it in a bucket of chemicals! Also is the 45mm lens a good start? I would probably add a wide-ish-angle lens (maybe 24mm or under) and the 85mm later. I would probably use the S2 with slow slide film (for projection) for general snaps, and when I'm out hill walking.