DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G2 Newbies Observations

> Hi Tim, yesterday u wrote something about an Epson 1280 and a Piezo Ink system. Sounds quite interesting. But i've never heard about Piezo. Could u kindly explain to me what it is, how it works, etc etc. Thank you . Luca

Oddly enough, the whole thing boils down to one thing: what is quality? The only definition I've ever heard that I found satisfying was in 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.' "Quality is whatever you like."

Mark Edwards

From my own personal experience, I am sure that digital is much more than a numbers game. The first one I had was a L#*#a Digilux 4.3 which I carried all over the world as a snap shot camera and was delighted with its output from many thousands of photos taken. It was only 2.1 effective Mp with Fuji's rather strange interlaced scan ability. Having carried it safely in some out of the way places it was then stolen earlier this year in the dining room of an up-market Edinburgh hotel. I was then lent a new L#*#a Digilux 1 by a helpful but stupid local L#*#a dealer. Stupid - yes, because few people would buy one after having tried it. Apart from being a big heavy lump, the colour was horrible; vague ill-defined blues, noisy flared and bleeding reds and is it really 3.9 Mp - looks more like 1.5. My son's old and very battered Canon A40 takes better photos. Brand loyalty then struck and not being able to afford a TVS digital, I bought a 5MP Kyocera. Beautifully made, tiny little camera, which takes very sharp, crystal clear and ultimately boring photos. Excellent for when I need to take technical photos of a historic rifle I might be selling to send to someone but just not a very good snapshot camera. I have tried playing around with the chroma, white balance and sharpness and got it a little better but the photos lack that indefinable something, which I get with my RX, G2 and used to get with the L#*#a 4.3. As a result it sits in a door pocket of the car most of the time, unused. I recently tried a Canon G5 and again the photos had a cold quality - perhaps it's inherent in the 5Mp CCD's. I don't know if Canon and Kyocera use the same one. The G5 was superb in low light without flash. I like the specs on the new Sony DSC818 but who designed it? It looks like something Robby the Robot might have carried in Lost in Space. Just too big and cumbersome for what I am seeking in a digital, which is a pocket snapshot camera. I will just have to get used to carrying my G2 around. Wilson

Yes, assuming it is accurate, it is very helpful to visualize where the reading will be coming from. IMHO, they could have added a circle in the viewfinder (or the ability to turn one on) so that we could see where the weight was coming from. cheers, scott

I'm not kidding ... I have only been shooting slides for about 5 months and have always scanned them into a computer and printed on an ink jet. before that I tried a few digicams without great satisfaction. yet before that, i took a bw photo class in college and used a nikon fm2. i am always interested to learn more though!

wow, similar experiences ... i (thankfully) had my digilux stolen. although although it seems to be a very fast camera, quiet and solid, the processor and sensor produced terrible noisy images.=20

Scott,

> is this how most labs create prints from slides?

I don't know about "most", but many professional labs print slides directly to Type R paper.

Some labs would require you to make internegative and print it on Type C paper, but I personally don't see a point. Cibachrome is so much better. It looks almost like your original slide as far as color and contrast are concerned. Pricey though, but worth it in my opinion.

I'm quite certain that if you bring your slides to Walmart, they wouldn't know what to do with them
happy.gif

> I'm not kidding ... I have only been shooting
> slides for about 5 months and have always
> scanned them into a computer and printed on an
> ink jet.

Aaa, I thought that you were trying to make some kind of joke that I didn't understand. Nevermind then.

Mike.

Back