DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

Mark do get a hold of the phase one software as it is the best i have used with canon stuff. it is better than adobe, canon filer viewer but same as the kodak software with more real time stuff on sharpening. i have had a 1ds for a while and it is a lovely setup. u can even use leica r lenses on it!!

the colors look different than the ND (1.08) with an amazing detail since it is 11 meg. i will be very interested to see you test results

Hi Marc,

I am highly interested in these testshots with the Canon 1Ds. Especially if the 1Ds is more difficult to ahndle regarding dust on the chip tehn other digital cameras.

Could you please upload on the sistersite www.canoninfo.com some shots and leave in the Canon forum some comments about your first impressions?

I am sure that many others are also interested in your first results.

Thanks in advance

Dirk

Toys! Toys are good, as long as we use them
happy.gif
. Marc and Mehrdad, congratulations on your 1Ds. Please give feed back, positive and negative re. ND. Also, I'm interested in how this guy handles on the field - looks like a really hefty handfull. Then again, can't be any worse than lugging a Fuji GX-680 setup with four lenses around in a Tenba 1000 bag
sad.gif
. But that was years ago when I had a little more energy ...

Which brings me to MY new toy I got yesterday, a Minolta Scan Multi Pro so I can get my Bronica GS-1 6x7 and Fuji GX-680 6x8 negs from various exotic locales (mostly Reala with some Fuji NSP and even some Kodak VPS). And I have a load of Linhof 6x9s from Sri Lanka which I may yet salvage, and that's another sad story. But this is fairly off-topic.

Thanks for all the great info you guys are giving. We appreciate it's an effort on your part.

Cheers,

DJ

toys they are!! but I still need contax to get the ND right and fix the stuff

Thanks, Marc, DJ and Mehrad. These tests come at the perfect moment for me. I'd been waiting for the Kodak, but made a decision the other day that I would buy either a 1ds or an ND this week. Because of rebates I can buy an ND and 3 lenses for less than the price of a 1ds body. I finally found some full-size images from the ND on a Japanese site, and was very impressed with its tonal range, especially in the red channel, which is the color I have the most problems with in digital. I'll be eagerly watching both sites for s&les and your conclusions.

And thanks, Dirk. This is a fantastic forum.

Marc, we are all waiting for your results. I thought you said you had a Kodak 14n on order too. Did you give that up?
Please post some of your test results. Thanks.

Charles,
Can you please tell us where you could get an ND and 3 lenses for less than the price of a 1Ds body? Thanks.

Pretty much anywhere because of the hefty rebates.

C'mon guys, Marc just got the camera today. Give him a couple of days to use it
happy.gif

Hello everyone, it's 3AM here and I drank to much coffee yesterday and now I'm unable to stay asleep. So, why not respond to some comments.

"Getting a ND and 3 Lenses for the price of a 1Ds body because of heafty rebates"... is a bit of an exaggeration that will only serve to deflate the value of the Contax gear.

I bought the Canon 1Ds from an authorized Canon USA dealer for $7,100. Now, keep in mind that this is a hot camera right now. In a year it'll be $6,000. I paid a total of $10,000. for the 1Ds camera, the new 24-70/2.8L and 70-200/2.8L with Image Stabilization+a spare battery and off camera flash shoe.

Let's do some math shall we?

To recieve the N rebates, you must buy from an authorized Contax USA dealer. If you get the ND for say $6,500 retail, less 10%= $5,850. The three lenses offering $500 each in rebates have to total at least $4,500 retail, less $1,500.= $3,000. Total, $8,850.
minimum (probably more like $9,000.)

Now back to my in-studio tests. This is not easy because the lens throw is different between the two cameras. I have settled on using the Canon 24-70/2.8 verses the Contax 17-35/2.8. IMO, the 17-35 is a better lens than the Contax 24-85 and I want the best against the best. But, what the heck, it's digital so I'll try the 24-85 also. Subject matter is also something that has to be carefully considered.
I don't usually shoot test charts for pay, so I won't use them for a test.

As far as the Kodak 14n I ordered, I still may get it. I do not make gear choices based on bodies, it is the lenses that drive every decision I make. I got the Canon due to the 11 meg for sure, but the new 24-70/2.8 has recieved rave reviews...and the 70-200 IS is already a legend. I will probably add only one lens to the Canon mix, the 35/1.4 L, which IMO is the best fast 35mm SLR lens ever produced.

Nikons' 28/1.4 isn't far behind, and their 85/1.4, 105/2 or 135/2 and 18/2.8 ASPH
is worth having a body for.

But, as we all know and love, there is something about those Contax Ziess lenses, so my ND isn't going anywhere.

Oh, another point about tests. I've found that doubling megapixels doesn't double the quality on any digital camera. It's a sort of sliding scale thing. What I'm interested in is realizable differences which will most likely be less dramatic than one would expect. Also, I know how to get more out of the ND after living with it for a year. The Canon is brand new to me ( although I know the controls because I had an EOS 1V for awhile).

Back