DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Most of you will be Windows PC based but...

newmikey

Some may run Linux PC's or aspire to do so. Hope I can help and/or answer some questions. Not an IT geek by far but an experienced amateur photographer with over 15 years use of Linux for photo editing and raw conversion.

Do you like Alternate Raw Therapee (ART) or whatever A stands for? I chose Darktable before ART was available, but like the purported simplicity of ART. It runs on Windows so this is not an exclusively Linux question, although if you run Windows you could buy DxO PhotoLab for even more simplicity.

ART is very cool, a bit like Rawtherapee on steroids. What sets it apart from standard RT IMHO is the inclusion of the automatic keystoning (which was adapted from Darktable) as well as the simpler interface. I use ART specifically when I shoot pixelshift images (Pentax tecnology which shoot 4 raws with a 1-pixel shift in between) but use Darktable on a more daily basis.

[EDIT] I think the "A" in ART stands for "another" as in "another raw therapee"

I use mint with ART and that works for cr3 editing. But what I am looking for is a simple viewer to view my cr3 images in a folder on my desktop for instance- without firing up ART. just a simple linux cr3 image viewer. Don't need editing-just viewing.

I use mint with ART and that works for cr3 editing. But what I am looking for is a simple viewer to view my cr3 images in a folder on my desktop for instance- without firing up ART. just a simple linux cr3 image viewer. Don't need editing-just viewing.
You could use gwenview with KDE, or geeqie with Gnome. For a more complete experience, I also like XnViewMP.
Above, thanks for opinions about ART.

You could use gwenview with KDE, or geeqie with Gnome. For a more complete experience, I also like XnViewMP.
Above, thanks for opinions about ART.
They do NOT support CR3 that i could determine which is what I want the viewer for.

Usually a raw "viewer" does not display the raw file itself but the embedded jpeg preview. Digikam (and its viewer/editor Showfoto) support CR3 via libraw. You can always use a small script to extract the previews so you can browse them with any viewer of course. But CR3 format is notorious indeed.

Any advice for printing with Canon Pro printers? Especially the fickle sort that run multiple flavors of linux?

Some may run Linux PC's or aspire to do so. Hope I can help and/or answer some questions. Not an IT geek by far but an experienced amateur photographer with over 15 years use of Linux for photo editing and raw conversion.
Win 10 desktops for me. Main rig 8700K, 64GB and Nvidia 1660 Super.
For travel Apple MacBook Pro M1 MAX MAX :-=)

Main apps LrC, PS and Lr.

Any advice for printing with Canon Pro printers? Especially the fickle sort that run multiple flavors of linux?
Probably best if you get support directly from your distro's community and specifically for that model. I don't print anymore (and haven't for almost 10 years now) so cannot offer advice on that - I'm literally clueless on the subject ;-)

Win 10 desktops for me. Main rig 8700K, 64GB and Nvidia 1660 Super.
For travel Apple MacBook Pro M1 MAX MAX :-=)

Main apps LrC, PS and Lr.
That's great Ken. Was there a question about Linux in there?

Back