DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do photographers posting here want honest feedback, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First. let me thank everyone who has responded so far. I value all the comments and varying points of view. I'm a firm believer in honesty. I'm definitely gladI asked before I started critiquing!

Pete_W:
It might simply be that some people are not interested in the views of a random person on the internet who may know nothing about the context of the photo, the reason it was taken or what it means to the person. Photos mean different things to different people. Self-appointed critics can be wildly cynical, out of touch with certain forms of expression, and often personally biased. Unless you have some form of proven credential as a photography expert, why would someone want to hear your personal views?
I agree completely about the "random person." Back in my time at NPN I felt comfortable making comments as I had a large body of work already posted there so anyone could decide if I knew what I was talking about. I used that measure as well when receiving comments from others

I think it also depends on the type of criticism - it is much better to restrict comments to technical issues (focus, exposure, dynamic range, etc) than to criticize more subjective aspects (composition, choice of subject matter, interpretation). I would hope that any photographer would value learning how to improve the technical side of photography.

I suspect that criticism of the artistic elements is more troubling to the photographer, and I see that in Pete's response quoted here. I think we are all personally biased in what we like and don't like.

Anyway, enough pontificating for now. Just know that I don't mind people critiquing the photos that I post here. I hope you will point out technical issues I might have missed and suggest ways to fix or avoid them in the future. If you have a reaction to my choice of subject or how I've presented it, good or bad, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

NPN, NSN and BPN are totally different types of forums Rich as is FM. This seems to be based on more about what members were at DPR.

Danny.

NPN, NSN and BPN are totally different types of forums Rich as is FM. This seems to be based on more about what members were at DPR.

Danny.
Good points. I suppose I am trying to steer this site in that direction. Hopefully I will get over this tendency!

Good points. I suppose I am trying to steer this site in that direction. Hopefully I will get over this tendency!
:) yeah I know Rich. I was a mod on NPN when Jim owned it, the good old days with, Greg, E.J. Chas, Nate, Guy, etc, etc. What you need to remember with those types of forums is that we only ever saw THE best there was. It came down to only one shot in 24 hrs, not a group of 5 photos in a thread as many times as you like in 24 hrs. It was very serious stuff Rich ;) DPR was never really that serious. I'm still enjoying and posting on NSN now days, but yeah, different to here or most other forums out there.

All the best Rich.

Danny.

The thing is that this subject is very subjective! What I like and what you like can be opposite poles. BUT it's not what folks say that's important but how they say it that counts.
Rather than calling someone's photo "crap" it's best to simply say "It's not to my taste". But being polite is beyond some folks IQ level so it's best to have a very thick skin.

:) yeah I know Rich. I was a mod on NPN when Jim owned it, the good old days with, Greg, E.J. Chas, Nate, Guy, etc, etc. What you need to remember with those types of forums is that we only ever saw THE best there was. It came down to only one shot in 24 hrs, not a group of 5 photos in a thread as many times as you like in 24 hrs. It was very serious stuff Rich ;) DPR was never really that serious. I'm still enjoying and posting on NSN now days, but yeah, different to here or most other forums out there.

All the best Rich.

Danny.

I thought that might be where I knew you from! Good to see you and your astonishing flight photos here.

It might simply be that some people are not interested in the views of a random person on the internet who may know nothing about the context of the photo, the reason it was taken or what it means to the person. Photos mean different things to different people. Self-appointed critics can be wildly cynical, out of touch with certain forms of expression, and often personally biased. Unless you have some form of proven credential as a photography expert, why would someone want to hear your personal views?
True to a certain point, but please explain why individuals post/share images on a site that has to do with photography. Are they just 'likes' peeps or thumbs up only instabrag types?
Putting it out there is assuming liability. Don't post if you can't take a bit of C&C...

Anyway, enough pontificating for now. Just know that I don't mind people critiquing the photos that I post here. I hope you will point out technical issues I might have missed and suggest ways to fix or avoid them in the future. If you have a reaction to my choice of subject or how I've presented it, good or bad, I wouldn't mind seeing it.
Good call and in the true spirit of 'honest feedback'
I believe too many here are worried about flamers and trolls having a go at them. Yes, everyone is biased and has a personal take on photography, and that usually becomes evident over time as to who is who in the forum. The last thing we need is censorship on opinions because someone spoke out about a photo. There was over zealous moderation done on DPR which certainly isn't needed here on this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back