DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

NX 2485 Using onboard flash any shadows

G

Here is an obscure question for you all. Does anyone know if there is any trouble with a shadow being cast when using the onboard flash built into the NX when using the 24-85 lens?

My reason for asking is that when using the onboard flash built into the Canon A2 with the Canon 28-70 L 2.8. The lens was a bit long for the height of the onboard flash system, and a shadow would result.

Anyone try this out yet with the contax combo mentioned above?

Thanks!
-Lynn

dear lynn:

i have the n1 and nx but seem to prefer the latter due to its light weight. my tla 360 is in the shop (due to clicking noise -- see other post), so i've been relegated to the onboard for the time being. i have a dinky tla 200 but only use it with the g cameras.

as to your question, i have not seen any shadows, even with respect to semi-close portraits using the 24/85 on the nx. the main problem is that this flash is really weak and the background behind the main subject is in stark darkness in comparison. thus, we go back to the perennial issue of the lens being quite a slow poke.

in other words, the lens is more ideal for tripod/landscape use than studio, unless you have a full set-up. as for the onboard on the nx, it's probably best to consider it an emergency back-up and also a fill flash for outdoor portraits.

jhs

> Jack, Thanks very much for the feedback. It is appreciated.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't seen any shadows produced with that combo. Point taken about using it only as a mild fill flash. I would probably only rely on it when travelling light, shooting outdoor daytime candids. (Same situation with the little built-in flash on the Canon A2 by the way)

Thanks again, Lynn

One thing to consider here: are these results with or without the huge lens hood?

dear otola:

good point. for myself, i rarely -- though i should often times -- use the huge lens hood. that odd shape makes me wonder if it really works well if the hood is not placed exactly right.

jhs

> Thanks Otala, I had assumed the lens hood to be on. I'm glad you pointed this out. I guess that saying is right about never assuming anything! Now I'll repose my question ... when shooting with the NX with the tiny built in flash and the 24-85 (with the shade on) does anyone experience a shadow cast onto your photos? I'm wondering if the height of the flash is adequate for the length of this lens AND shade. ;) -Lynn

Hello all
I just bought an NX w/24-85 and the lens came with a plastic lens hood? The web site states that the lens comes with metal hood. The lens was grey market but should I have received a metal one? If not then can I get a metal one?

Thanks

Kevin,

I did purchase a N-mount 24-85 zoom from a USA authorized dealer. It comes with a plastic hood. Contax does not make metal hood for this lens. It you saw the web site states that the lens comes with metal hood, I think it is an honest mistake, since this is probably the only plastic SRL lens hood that Contax made.

When I bought mine which it just came out the market, the dealer told me that this lens did not come with the hood. So I ended up buying it separately. Now I have two plastic hoods. (I keep an extra one just in case I may lose one.)

Albert.

> Thanks Albert How do you get around the problem of having to mount and unmount the hood in order to get to the little ears on the lens cap. This is annoying me because I bought a Minolta Dimage 7i digital recently that has the same wide-angle style (funny-looking) lens hood but came with a cool little lens cap that has inner tabs instead of outer ears so that your fingers can reach them when the hood is mounted. This is so simple. Why didn't anybody at Contax think of this. Sometimes its the little things that mean a lot.

Kevin

"Albert, How do you get around the problem of having to mount and unmount the hood in order to get to the little ears on the lens cap. This is annoying..."

Kevin, I agreed that it is annoying. In the last 16 months, I shoot more on 4x5 large format that 35mm. So I am use to spending a lot of times in setting up and breaking down the set. With the N1 and the 24-85mm zoom, when I am not shooting, I usually un-mount the hood and re-mount it into the lens in reverse direction. I like to do that because it provide extra protection when I am carrying the camera on the street. I have been doing it for two years, so now I am used to it.

Albert

Back