DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Dust in N Lenses

G

I have noticed a lot of dust on elements of most of the N lenses I own/handle. It seems to be especially pronounced on the 50mm/1.4. I have handled half-a-dozen of these lenses and all of them have significant dust on the elements. Anyone else finding this to be the case?

dear chip:

i have a 24-85 vario-sonnar which also seems to have dust imbedded in the lens element. odd thing to see, as these things should be assembled in a clean room. probably (?) not a factor in the landscape fotos i generally take, but kinda embarrassing for the money we paid. i haven't checked carefully, but i think the particle(s) are hovering behind the front glass.

jhs

no problems here with a 24-85 and 70-200 - you may just have bad luck

Hi Chip,

I recently bought a pair of Leica binoculars and had the same problem. I also understand that many owners of Leica camera lenses complained about this "dust" problem in the internal lens elements. According to a representative from the leica factory, he claimed that leica lens elements are so clear that every minute dust if any can be seen. He added that you would not find this "problem" in Nikon or Canon lenses. I took his reply with a pinch of salt and had my pair of binoculars replaced nevertheless.

I've been using a 24-85 vario-sonnar with my NX and have just noticed the dust inside the front lens elements and one piece of lint in it.

This can be easily seen in bright light.
I'm going to take the lens back to my dealer and see what we can do about it.

This must not be normal and Contax should do something to correct it.

Vajirune:

it is not a problem limited to Zeiss or Leica, you will certainly also find many Nikon owners of professional lenses who have had the same problem, including myself. Even though a spec of dust will not affect picture quality, if you just got a new lens you should expect the best and definitely take it back. Good luck.

Otola:

Thank you so much for additional info.

I called up the dealer and he told me to bring the lens for cleaning any time. It's a free service. So I decided to live with it for the time being. He has been giving similar services to a lot of professionals, production houses and advertising agencies.

He said that this incidence happens to most brands even with Leica. I'm not surprised since Leica lenses are made by Zeiss.

He added that this does not happen to cheaper lenses such as Tamron which are fabricated by robots.

Well, that's what he said?!#@*

Vajirune
Bangkok, Thailand

"He said that this incidence happens to most brands even with Leica. I'm not surprised since Leica lenses are made by Zeiss.

He added that this does not happen to cheaper lenses such as Tamron which are fabricated by robots."

That's like saying that Toyotas are better cars than Ferraris because they have more automation in their plants.

Leica lenses made by Zeiss? Some, but definitely not all. The SLR line for Leica has or had some Zeiss-made lenses in the catalog. None of the M lenses (that I know of) are Zeiss.

Dana Kincaid www.pinnaclesys.com

the only zeiss lens on the leica r line up was the discontinued 15mm 3.5 which was replace by a 15.28 Schneider lens. Dust in the lens is something that use to happen in the old days, now a days, it is very rare and they usually have no impact on the quality of the picture!

Back