DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

first data

Hi Paul,

because of the never-ending delays on Koyocera's part, we set Kyocera today a deadline til next Wednesday.

Either Kyocera is able to bring some information online on the Kyocera page on this limited edition, or we will cancel the whole limited edition.

We know that you all have been very pationed although there have been one delay after the other. And we thank you for this loyality. But if there are signs that this is continuing now also with this new model in the future, we will no longer be willing to accept this. So we will see very soon what will happen.

The general Contax U4r will be available in November. So there is still time. But what we do expect is at least a subpage on the Kyocera page, where the users can make pre-orders and have some information about the current status quo etc.

If Kyocera is not able to upload this within the next days, we do not feel confident that Kyocera is able to keep promises, which have been renewed again and again.

One thing is for sure, we refuse to overpromise and underdeliver. So in case the deadline is not met by Koycera, we prefer to have no limited edition at all instead of telling you to wait another week, or month or year.

Dirk- Thanks for you efforts, we appreciate it. I sure do wish Kyocera would get a bit more (or just a bit) customer focused. Contax has such a loyal group of followers that it's a pity they do not open up a bit to let them continue their enthusiastic support.

Thanks again. Kent

FYI

the subpage for the limited edition is now online. It will be update whenever we have new information about the progress:

http://www.contaxcameras.co.uk/index.asp

The first s&les of the normal (not limited edition) Contax U4R will arrive in Europe in November. They have then to make some tests with a few s&le to figure out where to put the Contaxinfo logo on. The space available for this on the Contax U4R is different then on the originally planned SL300R. So give Kyocera some time to check those technical issues.

As far as I know, there will be also a kind of pre-order subpage available soon, so that you can reserve a piece for you already for christmas. Remember it is limited to 300 pieces worldwide and it will be handled on a first come first serve basis as soon as the pre-order function is available.

But we will announce early enough, when the orders can be taken.

I do think that this is great news in these very calm and difficult Kyocera times of the restructuring. Let's hope that we hear soon more about new Contax products...

Cool! Thanks for the updates, Dirk. Even though I have my prospective Canon EOS 1Ds Mk II system all selected while the body gets released, I'm hoping deep down Contax comes up with something ...

DJ

Just maybe the Contax U4R as a whole will be a limited addition. I've heard the camera has been released in Japan and HK. Since Contax said they were going to offer contaxinfo a special addition and they have not started selling it to us, Christmas just a week away, perhaps Contax is on it's last leg. I can't believe the management has run this once great company into the ground in just 2 short years! I have been patient and have sunk so much money into Contax as is was the best option for me 3 years ago. And now here I am, and they can't even get a P&S right. I can’t even begin to tell you just how sick I am : ( I suppose I have no choice but to go for the Sony DSC-V3. At least Sony can support Carl Zeiss.

All... I noticed that both B&H and Adorama have the U4R in stock if you're interested. I must say that I can't believe that the U4R and I4R are the only Contax products available this Christmas season (new products). It is a sad state of affairs.

Not only that but my new 50mm 1.4 N lens has the dreaded "over-focusing" problem where you need to adjust the focus after the "auto focus is complete. Back it goes tomorrow.

FYI

although it is obvious, I just want to make sure that there is no misunderstanding. Because of the end of Kyocera/ Contax cooperation there will be no Contaxinfo limited edition as originally planned.

In case other cooperaton partners of Zeiss will take over the Contax brand, we will see whether something similar with another camera model will be possible.

The unfortunate demise of Kyocera cameras has resulted in reduction in prices for their products. I was able to acquire a Kyocera SL400 for $150.

Now, it's not the U4R, but for $150 it's a deal. A 2GB SD memory card costs more!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the U4R prices fall below $400 yet and many places have no stock. So, for $150 I got a comparable camera for my wife.

smile.gif

Back