DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax 645 tilt shift thingy

pigdog

does anyone have any info regarding contact accesory for tilt and shift? as an architectural photographer, i am frustrated by the lack of shift/tilt lenses i heard about the accesory which is very pricey, however i need t know if it allows the use of wide lenses as well and also were do you find this accesory?

With the Hasselblad to Contax 645 adapter, the Mutar shift "thingy" works quite well. But you have to use Hassey lenses and the Mutar has a 1.4X factor which makes wide angle lenses less wide. Someone makes a Contax 645 mount tilt / shift lens, but I just can't recall who (sorry).

Try Hartblei.com
Don't have any experience with it,but was quite impressed when I first saw it at Photokina 2000
Colin

Chester,

I just looked at this item today for architectural shots as well. With the 645 lenses, it doesn't focus past a few feet. It is constructed wonderfully, but it seems to only work for Macro work. Marc's suggestion sounds like it would work, but the 645 bellow + a Hassey lens + Mutar would be enough money to buy a view camera, which is the conclusion I drew today.

One other option is the Zork adapters (www.zoerk.com), which I'm still looking in to. I think the only limitation is price and the amount of movement.

>I think for arhitecture best solution is tilt and shift lens, for ex&le Hartblei super rotator 45/3.5 or 65/3.5. Unfortunately Contax does not manufacture tilt,shift lenses. I have Hartblei 45/3.5, this lens of course is manual lens and aperture also must be adjusted manualy, but this is not a big problem, because Contax 645 adjust a shutter automaticaly. Andijs.

Are the Hartblei lenses decent as far as optical quality?

I'd really like a T/S lens around 120mm for small products like shoes. I use the 120mm Makro stopped down to f32 or f45 to get enough depth of field, but sometimes it still isn't quite enough. Then I have to dig out the Arca Swiss 4x5 with a roll film holder. It's just a much slower process with the Arca, I'd rather work with the Contax 645.

I looked at the Hartblei lens but the maximum movement was only about 11mm, in the horizontal format you'd get something similar by just cropping a 645 neg from a 6x6 camera. In fact I get more than 11mm of movement on my Canon Tilt & Shift 35mm lenses. Bottom line is that for demanding architectural work the Hartblei just isn't flexible enough.

www.zoerk.com gave me this info on Contax 645 Tilt shift:

We can supply you tilt and shift option for you Contax 645. I would
recommend that you consider our ProShift Adapter for ZM (Zork Mount)
product. This provides a threaded front mount for either our Mini Makro
Mount (this would give you shift only with an enlarger or large format
lens of the focal length range you indicated) or our Multi Focus System
(this would add tilt). For the combination of shift adapter and Multi
Focus System, the shortest focal length would be in the 135-150 range.
For shift only, you should be able to use a 120-135mm lens. The Multi
Focus System, for tilt only, can use an enlarger lens as short as 105 on
the C645. Pricing for the various options are in our Product Guide.

A word about how we sell in North America. Typically, our customers have
the kinds of in-depth questions that most dealers are unable to answer
either for lack of sufficient background knowledge of view camera
principles or time to spend with customers. Also, our products are quite
versatile and offer many different options, which may require in-depth
explanation. We find that educating the customer is an important aspect
of our role. Hence, we currently sell direct to end-users in order to
provide a consistently high level of service and accurate product
information.

To place an order, simply let us know which products you wish to
purchase. Once we receive payment, we will process your order. Most
orders have a 2-3 week lead time, unless we have stock here in Oregon,
in which case we can ship within 2 business days. US customers pay no
shipping (or duty). Special orders or lens conversions may take 4-6
weeks, and may have additional shipping charges. Credit card payment
options include Paypal (www.paypal.com), C2IT (www.c2it.com) or use a
cashier's check, money order, personal check (with 10 days clearance
time).

Once your order arrives here in Oregon, it is inspected and tested, then
reshipped to you. Standard UPS shipping and insurance from Oregon to
most locations in the US is typically about $16.50 ($10.00 for mount
adapters without lens) and $32 for priority / next day ($21.00 for
adapters without lens). Internationally, shipping is based on specific
location and method of shipment. An expedite service for orders shipping
from Germany is also available for an additional $65. Economy shipping
is available through the USPS. We can provide an exact quote, if you
prefer, for any shipping options.

Please let me know if I can assist you with an order or answer other
questions. And, please let us know how you heard about us!

Yours,
Joshua
--------------------
Joshua Daniels
Director Sales & Marketing
Zörk US
email. usa@zoerk.com
tel. / fax. 541-687-5969
www.zoerk.com

What would be the best tilt & shift lens for the Contax 645 for architectural photography?

It would be great to be able to have auto focus and automatic controls with a tilt & shift lens on the Contax 645. I cannot find any lenses that would accommodate the automatic controls but if someone knows of a possible combination of adapter and lens that could offer tilt & shift with automatic controls and auto focus it would be great.

I am currently looking at the Hartblei 3.5/45 Super-Rotator, which tilts 8 degree and shift or possibly the Hartblei 3.5/45 which tilts 6 degree and Shift.

Does anyone have experience with these lenses combined with the Contax 645? Could it work for architectural photography?

Does anyone have experience with these lenses combined with the Contax 645 and a digital back like the DCS Pro Back 645C?

There is also the Zork Pro Shift adapter but I am not sure this would work for architectural photography.

Digital perspective correction is always a possibility but you are loosing some resolution since you are stretching and compressing pixels.

Back