DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

I agree with Irakly, skin tones can be achieved with this camera quite readily. However, you must be right on with your exposures, and have the controls set to capture a bit more vivid color palette.

Some of my first shots tended to be grayish, and the people looked dead. When shooting with flash set the white balance to flash. If you are shooting RAW, you can fine tune white balance when processing.

I'll try to upload a shot on this forums' Gallery to demonstrate a simple shot I just did of my son and his girl friend who were visiting for the Holidays.
I sometimes have difficulty on the gallery getting the color to match my monitor, so forgive me if it looks washed out there. But I'll try anyway.

Marc, OT. Saw you pics from South Beach, thanks for that. I love it there and go when ever possible. Interesting reading the threads on the ND, thanks everyone for that too. Jeff

I've been sitting on the fence as to whether or not to buy the N digital. The price had dropped $2200 since it's launch and I'm probably going to get one. The thing is, with the newer digital cameras coming out with almost twice the MegaPixel capacity am I crazy to invest in the N digital?. I own a couple of 35mm N bodies and the 24-85 lens and 90-300. This means I don't have to invest in new glass if I stay with Contax. I guess my question is. Is the N digital worth buying. Does it take great pictures?

Sure it does, but you have to put up with some shortcomings which have been covered to death in this forum. Also, look in the Gallery section for work by fotografz and Irakly, we have both posted images from the ND there.

> This ist a very interested question. I am thinking about since a couple of weeks! What will the experts answer?? I am a contax user with a N1 and a 645. Now the CANON D1s has recording pixels about 11 MB and the KODAK DCS Pro 14 N is going to 14 MB. Is any news to be aware about a further contax body? Please, excuse my bad english. Greetings Paul from germany]

Go to the Kodak site. First images from the 14N are there. You be the judge.

The way it is configured, the ND has more than enough resolution. It's the software, power source, and the dinky buffer that are the problem. Contax doesn't need another camera, it needs to fix this one. Nikon now offers a buffer upgrade that doubles the buffer to 18 shots for $240. (You have to send them your D1-X for the upgrade). I'd gladly pay Contax $400 to $500 to do the same to my ND. And they should offer a enclosed battery with charger like every other Pro digital. Software I can forgive them for, everyones' sucks (except Kodaks').

I am also considering to buy an ND when the price comes down. If the picture quality is good, it does not matter if it is a older version or other new models available. All gears have weakness if you search for it. But I love the quality of my N lenses. Itself is a good reason for me to stay with Contax. If the ND works out okay, I can dump my C645.

"I can dump my C645"

The ND isn't that good. In fact, pretty soon for not a lot of money more than the ND you could get a 16 meg Kodak DCS ProBack 645C for your Contax 645. And in no way could you even began to compare the two. ( I have and use both cameras digitally) Kodak will most likely be introducing an upgrade of the 645C back in a year or so. When they've done that in the past, you could get reconditioned and demos for 1/2 price...which would be $6,000. for this one if that happens.

Back