DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Hi, I have one thing to say and two things to ask. First, a lot of people, including myself, would like to see a 135mm lens for the G series but I seem to remember reading something from one of our more technically minded engineering types that with the G, it was not possible to develop a lens of this size to fit. Does this make sense to anyone? Second, I am interested to know if there is a differnce in quality between the Zeiss RF lenses and Zeiss SLR lenses (primes)? Can anyone help here? Third, which would be of better quality, an enlargement to 11" x 14" with colour negative film or a print made from slide film?
This was a bit long, sorry. Thanks for any help.

Steve

Hi Steve,

you thought about a 135mm lens for the G series.

What they have told me is that the 90/2.8 is about at the limit for what the autofocus system can handle accurately (limited base length, despite the folded light path). However, the existing viewfinder doesn't support anything longer than 90mm as well.

A suggestive 135mm would require the G3 we are all waiting for.

Till

> > > > I believed it is not just the view finder, practically I think the 90mm range > is the far most one to fit into the range finder platform, even with Leica .85 > or .90 viewfinder I still find it is hard to use with 135mm lens. > Brgds/Kaisern > >

After 30 years of SLR photography I'm thinking about going back to a range finder system. My subjects are mostly people, street work, and landscape. With SLR's getting larger by the day, it can be quite off putting for your subject to have a stranger shove one in their face. (I'm talking about people here!) The less intimidating size of a range finder therefore seems quite attractive. That's the easy decision: next comes choice of camera. Not so easy. I really like the look and feel of the G2 and it's Zeiss lenses as well as its speed of operation, but I also have a soft spot for manual cameras. This brings Leica M and the new Voigtlander Bessa R2 with its 'M' mount into the equation. For the price of a new G2 with 28,45, and 90mm lenses TL200 flash and bag - £1699 in the UK I could buy a good used M6 with perhaps a couple of lenses, 28 and 50mm or a new Bessa R2 with three Voigtlander lenses which I have read can be as good as both Zeiss and Leica, for £300 less. I realise that the Bessa R2 is not as refined as the G2 or the M6 and that both the R2 and the M6 don't have the speed of the G2. All three have features that I like. I would like to hear more of people's experience with the G2, and if such a thing is possible, here some objective opinions on the G2, M6, and R2

Christopher,

The fundamental decision facing you is between automated and manual operation. The G2 is the only rangefinder with automation of focusing, metering and film advance. If this appeals to you, then your choice is simple, and you will be extremely pleased with the results you will get from the G2 and its amazing Zeiss lenses. But if you really enjoy the process of manual camera photography, then you must look elsewhere. All of the cameras you are considering are capable of creating high quality images. Get the one that best suits your personality and style. Like many other members of this fourm, I grew up using manual cameras, but I now find the G2 to be much faster and more fun.

"I would like to hearmore of people's experience with the G2, and if such a thing is possible, here some objective opinions on the G2, M6, and R2"

I too went through the same decision process, and in the end, I found that the reasons other people gave for choosing the G2 over an M6 or R2 didn't necessarily help. It was a matter of what I wanted, needed, and could afford. I wanted to have a decent range of lenses, so I had to discount the M6, because I didn't have enough to spent on a comprehensive M system. The R2 really appealed to me, but I ended up choosing the G2 because after trying both of them out, I couldn't put down the Contax. It was just wonderful to hold and shoot. Although the shutter and wind sound is louder than I would have wanted, I actually like the sound, it's very crisp. Everything on the camera feels of high quality precision. I did, however, also want a nice wide angle, but one with a little more flexibility than the 16mm Biogon (with it's fixed f/8(or 16 with the ND)). I ended up getting the G2 with 21, 28, 45, 90 and TLA 200, and also getting a Bessa-L with 15mm Heliar from Cameraquest, which ended up being less than $500 for the set. I spent less than my $3000 budget and couldn't be happier with my choices.

Basically, you need to try all of your choices out, then make a decision based on your own personal opinion, noone can decide for you. If I had listened to what people were telling me, I would not have gotten the G2, and would probably have an M6 TTL with one or two lenses. I can't say I'd be happy then...

Vu

I have gone through the same experience too. I end upp with the G2 with 28, 45 and 90 together with Bessa-L with 15 mm. I am happy with the system. I may have the focus problem now and then. Since I have used P&S extensively for many years after I gave up photography years ago, prefocusing is almost automatic to me. I agree that the 90mm is difficult at times.

Peter & Vu, I have noticed the price for the 16mm on e-bay has dropped considerably.
1. Would you have purchased the Bessa-L with 15mm if the price of the G2 16mm lens was in the $850 range as it is now?
2. Did you consider purchasing the 12mm Bessa lens? If so, why did you decide on their 15mm lens?
3. Do you use the 15mm much?

Howard

<Posted by HOWARD FUHRMAN on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 5:36 pm:

<Peter & Vu, I have noticed the price for the 16mm on e-bay has dropped <considerably. <1. Would you have purchased the Bessa-L with 15mm if the price of the <G2 16mm lens was in the $850 range as it is now?

Yes, I still would have purchased the Bessa instead. The quality of the optic and the added (although not TOO much in such a wide angle) versatility in the variable aperture and max of f/4.5 were big sellers for me. Another reason that I didn't think of before I bought the Bessa but very much realize now is that since I walk around with the G2 and 21, 45, 90 AND the Bessa w/ 15mm in a Domke F-803 most everywhere I go, I use the 15mm much more than I would have used the 16mm, because I open my bag and it's there. I always have the 45mm stuck on the G2 in the bag, so with this setup within a couple of seconds I can have either a 45mm or 15mm in my hand and ready to go. Also, I keep Tri-X in the G2 but XP2 in the Bessa, so that I can vary the exposure on the same roll without pushing or pulling, since I go through many lighting conditions within the same roll. I use XP2 Super from ISO 100-800, depending on what I need, but I just have it processed normally.

<2. Did you consider purchasing the 12mm Bessa lens? If so, why did you <decide on their 15mm lens?

I did, but only briefly. To me, the 15mm is infinitely more useful. That's just me though. I love wide shots, but I can't see myself using the 12mm more than a small fraction of what I use the 15mm for. There really is quite a difference between the two. The 12mm is just too wide for me to use in regular applications. Many would say the 15mm is too wide for general use, though, so this is just a matter of personal opinion and shooting style.

<3. Do you use the 15mm much?

Not nearly as much as the G2 w/ 21mm. I really love using that lens. Once I rearrange my bag, I may keep the 21 on the G2 when I'm walking around. Of course, that would leave me with just a 21 and 15 readily available, and it is not the quickest thing to change to the 45 or 90 from the 21, but like I said, I love that lens. The 15 is great though, and I've had it for just 3 months now and have put maybe 4 rolls through it. Seeing as how I've had my G2 only about 2 weeks longer and I've put almost 20 rolls through it, I guess you could say I still use it quite a bit, 20% of the time, in fact.

I believe that the Bessa L w/ 15mm is the PERFECT companion to the G system, minus the 16mm. It works for me, and to me that's all that matters.

Howard,
My answer is yes too. I am living in Hong Kong and the price difference tbe G2 16 mm and the Bessa-L + 15mm is big enough for me to make the choice.
I also agree that having a standard (45mm) or 28mm together with the superwide angle in the same bag is more convinent for me. I have just completed a two week trip in Europe and found this combination very handy speically shooting architectures. I have owned the G2 for over 1 year and the Bessa-L for two months. Both cameras gave me good pictures for my standard. I only returned to photography more seriously in recent mmonths so my not have the most specific requirement. anyway, I am happy with what I have now.
Peter

Back