CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Contax TVSD vs. Sony V1

K

kaisern

>=20 >=20 >=20 > [I don=B9t have a S50 so I cannot comment. I do have a Canon G2 and I will = take > TVS in stead of G2 for better quality of picture. My solution using TVS i= s > lower IS setting and slower speed and it survived most of the situation. = I > saw the Olympus Stylus yesterday, 4mp, very small, metal body and cost 1/= 2 of > a TVS, that might be a very good option and Canon just announced a G5 wit= h 5mp > and cost the same as G3 =AD similar price to TVS, and I am pretty sure it w= ill > be a great camera given the G reputation.] >=20 >=20 >=20

ksklo

Without manual setting, how is it possible to set very low shutter speed, like 1/30th sec, at full aperture in low-night situations? My understanding is the TVSD has either program or aperture priority modes, and I cannot imagine either one of these will allow you to go 1/30th sec.

I realize there is a LT option, but that would start at 1 sec, unlikely feasible for handheld shooting.

dirk

CI-Founder
thanks for the info Marc...

is there a rule of thumb up to which size you can print out from both to have still no difference to a print from a slide/negative. Is it only Din A5 or is it also up to Din A4 (in cm: 10x15 and 20x30cm, I think inch conversion is divided by a factor around 2.4)?

Dirk

K

kaisern

>=20 >=20 >=20 > [Technically if you cancel the flash then the AV mode automatically goes = to > extended time for compensate the poor light or set the flash at non-auto = mode > then TVS will then just use the flash to balance the ambient light then b= urn > the object.] >=20 >=20 >=20

fotografz

I've uploaded a couple of more TVS test shots.

Nothing special artistically, but I was trying out a new SD card...

So I popped off a few macro shots to test that, and tried fill flash in daylight.

Next is to see how the highest ISO works and flash in darker situations like going out to dinner or a party.

jcheng

Marc,
Wow, thanks again for those wonderful test shots. Now I am really sold on the TVS. Were they taken on tripot? The hat shot @ fine just blows the Canon away. Also, if I could find a good deal on a used ND, I would be a happy c&er.

Y

yinkhoon

Marc stated that the Contax TVS Digital's life is inferior to the Canon S50's, as he rarely had to recharge the Canon S50 battery, but the Contax battery wears down pretty fast.

I am surprised by this as the Contax battery is a 1500Amh lithium battery, and by all accounts from
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, lasts very long (see below).

Extract from
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

"The TVS is powered by a hefty 1500mAh 3.7v lithium rechargeable battery and even under heavy use of the color LCD and flash, it holds up well. I never managed to discharge it completely during our testing and would imagine that it does live up to the specs which claim 310 frames with the LCD off and 260 frames with the LCD on. The battery charges in-camera with the supplied AC charger and requires a maximum of six hours if the pack is fully depleted."

Any comments?

K

kaisern

>=20 >=20 >=20 > [My TVS digital can usually last 3-4 days shooting at perhaps 30-40 shots= per > day. I think it is OK as is except the camera uploaded the picture to > computer much too slow.] >=20 >=20 >=20

Y

yinkhoon

Kaisern, so is the Contax TVS Digital's battery life comparable to that of your Canon G2? Better or worse, by how much?

K

kaisern

>=20 >=20 >=20 > [G2 is still much better for battery life but I can live with TVS-D. Aft= er > having TVS-D, I don=B9t use G2 any more so I gave it to my assistant.] >=20 >=20 >=20

jcheng

Marc,
Knowing how you liked your ND in B&W, would like to hear your opinion of the TVS D in B&W, and perhaps you could post a few test shots? Thanks.

fotografz

James, I am leaving in a few hours to shoot a TV commercial in Hollywood. I am taking the TVS-D with me and will post results next week when I return. I will try some B&Ws, but it will be hard to force myself to do so because I will be in a very colorful place.

BTW, Irakly left for Mexico yesterday. He took his ND and I bet he also took the TVS-D. So maybe he'll have something interesting to show next week also.

agfa100

Has anyone compaired the tvs D to the Kyocera S5 the spec's seem about the same, just in different clothing y/n ?????

garyh

There have been a number of posts to this thread questioning a comparison between Sony's new 5MP compact (don't remember the number) and the Kyocera S5. While I don't know about the Kyocera, you will notice if you look carefully that the Zeiss lens on Sonys does not have T* on it. Nor do any of their advertisments say Zeiss T* - Just Zeiss.

Now I may be nit-picking here, but one of the elements(no put intended) that makes Zeiss optics what they are is the fabulous T* coating. So you are really not getting the same lens.

You get what you pay for. There's no free lunch in this world, and never will be. Whether the cost difference is worth it to any individual, is of course a personal decision.

Although it is somewhat of a dumb picture, here is a shot using the TVS Digital in Macro Mode, shot at ISO 100 in Fine mode, which is how I always shoot. The only adjustment was a little sharpening in Photoshop when the image size was reduced to comply with this site's upload limit. But the original full size picture is just as sharp. SORRY THE PICTURE IS ON ITS SIDE, BUT THAT'S THE ONLY WAY IT CAN BE UPLOADED.

What more could you want?
103925.jpg

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi Gary,

this is rally a sharp picture. If you want to, you can upload the fullsize picture without compression in the test images gallery. Then others might download it for closer examination. Just leave us a note when you uploaded it so we can approve it for beeing visible for others.

Dirk

W

writing4me

> Dirk, just wondering if this is possible. I always read the list via email. When people post images to the site, of course, I can't see them via email. A work about might be to have a full link to the image be included in the email, rather than just the file name. That would be so much easier for those of use who read through email, just clicking the link to get to the photos. Thanks for considering the idea. -Lynn

dirk

CI-Founder
Lynn,

"...to have a full link to the image be included in the email..."

This is not possible in the forum. All images/uploads in the forum shall only for better explanations of an issue currently discussed, not as a replacement or alternative to the normal photo-gallery.

If you are registered also in the photo gallery you auploaded images, you can have the option to be noticed by e-mail about new comments with a direct link to that image.

Gary,

"...How do I upload to the test gallery...."

The test-images gallery is for the purpose of test images only. The intention is to help the users before buying a camera to examine in depth images from that camera made by other users. Upload limit is 8MB, Jpeg and Tiff (!) images are accepted.

There is no registration needed for uploadin/viewing etc. at the test-images gallery. But after uploading the images have to be approved from us. As long as we did not approve them, they can not be seen by others. We have to do that because of the lack of registration and we do not want to have sex photos etc. on that page from unknown funny people
happy.gif

ksklo

Based on the test photos of Marc, I did buy the Contax TVSD at the end. Unfortunately in HK it only came with the Japanese manual and I am having difficulties allocating an English version. Can anybody help me with this?

I took some random shots with AUTO everything (Program and auto ISO setting) last week but found the noise level was quite significant and disappointing. I tried to upload an ex&le on the test images gallery for your study, but could not find any upload button there. In any case, my question is at what ISO setting would AUTO select in daylight situation, and from TVSD users' experience, what is the limit of ISO at which TVSD is considered acceptable?