DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3

Today I got my T3 back from Kyocera Optics, NJ. The single sprocket/nub on the film take-up spool was shorn off and the camera would not load film.

The film take-up spool was replaced with a new one that has 2 sprockets to engage the film, instead of just the one in the original.

Two of the single sprocket spools have failed in my camera. Hopefully the replacement with two sprockets will be enough.

16 days turn around from CA-to-NJ (Coast-to-coast) shipping and return.

One thing that kind of irked me: When I inquired how they shipped it back to me the lady stated it was shipped "airborne." So I asked, "then it would be 1-2 days?" The lady replied that from NJ to CA it may be a week.

I finally figured it out that Airborne is the only the name of the freight company which - aeronautical name notwithstanding, shipped my camera to me by ground!

Phil -

Do the sprockets look like they were redesigned? Better plastic perhaps?

A single sprocket wouldn't have been a problem had they used a stronger material like carbon fiber or graphite.

Hope they got it right this time....

Niki

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phil wrote:

The film take-up spool was replaced with a new one that has 2 sprockets to engage the film, instead of just the one in the original.

Niki-Tuan,

Sorry to say that it looks like the same material as the original. Anyway maybe this will do the trick.

It's good to get my baby back!

I am interested in purchasing a high-end P&S camera in the next few weeks. It seems like the general consensus is that the Contax T3 and the Leica Minilux Zoom are the two best choices. I have read as much as I can get my hands (or eyes) on about both, but before I try to make up my mind, does anyone have any advice? I realize that I am sending this to a Contax forum, so I expect some pro-Contax bias.

Also, I am not a professional photographer. Frankly, I am not even a serious amateur. I just want to have one great P&S camera that I know will take a great shot when I need it to. While cost is always an issue, assume that it's not for the sake of this e-mail.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jason

> I am interested in purchasing a high-end P&S camera in the next few > weeks. It seems like the general consensus is that the Contax T3 and > the Leica Minilux Zoom are the two best choices. I have read as much > as I can get my hands (or eyes) on about both, but before I try to > make up my mind, does anyone have any advice? I realize that I am > sending this to a Contax forum, so I expect some pro-Contax bias.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T3 has a fixed lens while Minilux Zoom has a Zoom.

From the size point of view i would go for the T3.

>

Jason: I bought a used Contax T2 4 years ago after many non-photography years, and carried it with me on my travels all over Europe since. I use slide film (mostly velvia believe it or not) and the results from the very first roll were wonderful - far better than I ever got from all my Leica R gear previously, with all the oft-cited CZ attributes strikingly apparent: saturated colour, crisp focus, eye-popping contrast. In my experience ANYONE can see the difference in the results from this camera compared to run of the mill brands - though I have no idea how it might stack up against the T3 or the current Leica p&s options. Again, I never achieved anywhere near the same ooh-and-ahh factor when I carried around an R3, an R4 and numerous absurdly expensive Leica lenses all those years ago. There are many limitations with the camera, as with any p&s I guess, particularly with the manual focus (yikes!) etc. as well as very serious shutter lag. I am not a zoom guy but must admit the constraints with the fixed 38mm lens as well. As I have decided to add "serious" to my amateur status again I recently bought a 159MM and a few C/Y lenses, trading in the T2. A week later I came to my senses and bought it back from the store, paying a markup! I will have this camera in my pocket forever, regardless of any other gear I acquire. I highly recommend it if you are considering buying used.

Jason,

If you're not even a serious amateur, you'd get better value from a Yashica T4 Zoom. The 28-70 zoom lens is more versatile than both the T3 and the Minilux Zoom. To get the full value from a T3 or a Minilux, you need to be at least a serious amateur - unless your purpose in owning such a high-end camera is just for pose value.

Jason,

I too have been looking for a high-end point and shoot. Have you considered the Rollei AFM35? It has a fixed 38mm lens that is supposed to be on par with the T3 and Minilux and the camera has been greatly reduced in price recently done to $299. I am planning on getting one on my next trip up to NYC at B&H.

JOB

Hi Jason, as already touched upon, camera size and fixed or zoom lens are your two big variables. Before selecting you must decide whether or not you need a pocketable camera (T3) or a zoom lens (Minilux).

If you're willing to forego the convenience and flexibility offered by a zoom, you can't go wrong with the T3's 35/2.8. According to some it's the best lens ever fitted to a P&S camera (and given the price, it ought to be!)

Really, I doubt you'd go wrong with either camera. And yes, my prejudice is for the T3. It's done some amazing shots for me.

--Rick

Rick -=20

Thanks for the advice. You hit the nail on the head re: zoom vs. non-zoom. My past P&S cameras have had zoom and I have found it useful. However, the more I read, it seems that almost everyone agrees that the clarity/sharpness is much better in a fixed lens camera (which makes complete sense). For that reason, I am leaning away from the Leica Minilux Zoom and the Yashica T4 Zoom. Many of the reviews/postings that I have read on both cameras suggest that the zoom versions are not as strong as the previous non-zoom versions. =20

All that said, I still worry a little that I might miss a zoom lens. Then again, I can use my Canon Elph APS for that. I really want quality, consistency, reliability, and a really sharp photo.

I take it your vote is for the T3?

Jason

Back