DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3

Craig,

Many of the reviews that I have read re: the T4 Zoom suggest that the Zoom version is not nearly the same camera as the previous (and now discontinued) non-zoom T4. Have you compared the two? Agree/Disagree?

I agree the price can't be beat.

Jason

Jason,

I have both the T5 non-zoom and the T Zoom. I think the T Zoom is a much better camera. Except for the maximum aperture, the T5 has no advantage over the T Zoom, in my experience with both cameras. Also, the T Zoom construction quality is far better than the T5.

The T Zoom Carl Zeiss lens is stunningly sharp. You won't be disappointed with it.

There is another thread in this forum about the T Zoom. In it you will find some postings from me with links to s&le photographs.

I haven't used my T5 since I bought the T Zoom. The T Zoom has proven to be better all round. I use the 40-70mm range of focal lengths a lot. That's why I don't use the T5 any more, and why I didn't buy a T3.

So it depends on whether you need the longer focal lengths or not. I do. Maybe you don't. It's up to you and the type of photography you do.

Regards,

Craig

I'm with you David. I have used a T2 since 1997. It is an EXCELLENT camera. I have snapped wedding photos with it for friends who have framed them in preference to those of the professional. I don't know about the T3 but it does not seen to be as well designed in not having the ergonomics of the T2.
Hope this helps,Jason.
John

Ah yes but the zooms are so abysmally slow that camera shake will be = ensured without flash or fast film

Hi Jason,

Yes, my vote is for the T3 (not that I'm concerned about banishment from list or anything). Reasons I selected it intitially:

* Fast lens of the highest quality.
* More compact and lighter than the competition (a great backpacking camera)
* The Ti skin

What I've since discovered:
* The customizable functions
* The very close minimum focus distance (.3 m)
* The surprisngly useful flash, plus the accessory flash bracket for the TLA 200 (which I already owned)

Finally, I've discovered that having a camera as small as the T3 means missing fewer photo-ops, simply because I carry it more often than any other camera I've owned. I'm sure you've discovered the same with your Elph.

Living without a zoom changes one's shooting habits and scene previsualization. I've compensated in part by shooting slower, better film in the knowledge that I can print a portion of the image to simulate a longer lens. It's not too hard to handhold using even K64 or Velvia with the 2.8 lens in daylight, which means tremendous image quality from the little Sonnar.

I note in closing that Leica also has a fixed focal length Minilux with a Summarit 2.4/40 lens. And it's available in snakeskin! But it's still quite a bit larger than the T3.

--Rick

>=20 >=20 >=20 > [T3 has superior optic but Minilux is easier to operate.] >=20 >=20 >=20

Jason -

If you haven't used a fixed lens by Zeiss, you'll be in deep doodoo once you hold a T3 in your hands. The Zeiss Sonar 35/f2.8 is top notch! Most of the features are covered already but I want to add the following:

Minilux good: fast/sharp lens, stronger/accurate built-in flash, accurate meter

Minilux bad: bigger, heavier, slower max shutter speed, tiny/dim viewfinder, no permanent setting for flash mode, body is Ti painted.

T3 good: probably the best lens on a P/S, smaller, lighter, accurate meter, 1/1200 max shutter speed, lens pre-focus, AF Lock button, larger/brighter/sharper viewfinder, allows filters/hood, permanent flash mode setting and 7 custom functions, allows accessory flash head, real Ti body.

T3 bads: finicky AF, film take-up spool sprocket broke on several users, built-in flash not accurate as Minilux and weak with ASA100 films (ASA400 and higher is no problem), ergonomics down a from the T2 due to small size, which is too small for some people... thus they keep the T2.

All-in-all the T3 is a very versatile P/S camera. I have the SA-2 Bracket and TLA200 Flash head. I use the filter/hood adapter for B&W filters. But its capabilities are only good if you need them. Like Craig Norris said, if you're not a serious photographer, the Yashica T4-Zoom (w/Zeiss lens) is quite sufficient.

A few things I've learned along the way when I switched to high-end cameras (Rollei, Leica, Contax), even in the P/S category.

- use better films - use reliable, professional photo shops for developing / printing - If you don't, Zeiss lens is a waste of money.

More info:

T3: http://www.contax.org.uk/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi?board=user_experiences_t3

T3: http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD_85184_3108crx.aspx

Minilux: http://www.photographyreview.com/pscCameras/Point,and,Shoot/Leica,Minilux/PRD_83753_3108crx.aspx

Yahshica T4-Zoom: http://www.photographyreview.com/pscCameras/Point,and,Shoot/Yashica,T4,Zoom/PRD_136031_3108crx.aspx

Hope that helps...

Niki

My wife and I have the T3 and the Minilux Zoom respectively and we are very impressed with the beautiful photographs rendered by both.

As John McCormick said, the difference in quality betwen the two is like trying to describe the difference between two great gourmet ice creams.

The main drawback of the Minilux is the low range, 500th of a sec, of the shutter speed - you risk overexposed shots using 400 film in sunlight. We use NPS (ISO 160) and get beautiful results.

Otherwise it has a great solid feel and the zoom is nice to have. With it's simple controls, it is the ultimate "point and shoot."

Despite the take-up spool problems that I've had with the T3, I still recommend it to those who need a small camera with more photograghic flexibility than the Minilux.

My wife likes to just point and shoot. I like to experiment and fine tune more.

I suggested to Jason that he might look at the Rollei AFM35, mainly because the price has been lowered recently to $299. As a new camera with a 2.6 fixed 38mm lens, aperture priority & 10 scale MF with a 3 year warranty, it is compelling compared to used T3's or Minilux's at higher prices. Only used original TVS with it's dark viewfinder are selling below $400 at this point.

Does anyone have any experience with the AFM? I have embedded a link in case people are not aware of the camera I am referring to http://www.rolleiclub.com/rollei/CL/AFM35.htm

Would be interested in feedback, I am considering purchasing one at B&H.

Back