DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3

Janson, you mentioned that you are even a serious amateur. For that, I would go for Yashica T4 Zoom. One of my colleague(not even a amateur either) bought a T4 zoom (with my advise) for his trip to Australia. He is very happy with it.

There are good and bad reviews about T4 zoom. If you read carefully, you would find that those who love it they had the T4 zoom the first time and those who dislike it they compared it to previous T4 which is fixed lens.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Contax T3 or Yashica T4 zoom. And, I can't agree more with Niki:

- use better films - use reliable, professional photo shops for developing / printing - If you don't, Zeiss lens is a waste of money.

Jeff

> I LOOKED AT THIS SITE, AND CANNOT FIND ANY REVIEWS, LET ALONE THE 35 AFM. > WHAT BUTTONS DO I HAVE TO PRESS ?

Robin,

the Rolleiinfo.com site is online since 2 days and has "only" around 50 members so far. Give it a little bit more time. The question was asked for the 35AFM specifically, that is why I recommended it.

Have to agree with Jeff. Take a close look at the Rollei, especially at that price (Can't believe I sold my Yashica T5 on ebay for almost the same price). If you don't use filters and don't mind not being able to read the shutter speed, don't think you can beat it. The rollei is a little larger than the T3 but has nicer ergonomics IMHO.

Hello!

I agree with John Wey's line, "- use better films - use reliable, professional photo shops for developing / printing - If you don't, Zeiss lens is a waste of money." 100 percent completely. It is the most important. With them, you will be happy. I always use the professional photo shop no matter what.

Thanks,
Kian-Guan Au

Hi Jason,

I was in your position a month ago, shopping for a decent P&S and at the same time trying to figure out the best combination.
As you see, there's a lot of really good information on this site and others that have the same community based discussions; but to be totally honest, sometimes I was even more confused than enlightened.
Here're my 2 cents:
_ I'm a happy owner of a Contax T3 and already shot about 10 rolls of different negative and slide, color and b&w, with always wonderful results.
The suggestion of using professional labs and films is very appropriate and I agree fully with that.
_ The Yashica T5 is a very nice camera and its price is hard to beat for the results delivered.
_ I didn't like the Rollei or the Olympus Stylus Epic, although I recognized their exceptional qualities. I just think the Rollei is bulky and heavy and the Olympus is to simple and 'plastic-y'.

My final suggestion is, follow your heart and get the camera that 'feels' better in your hands, meaning the look, friendly and understandable interface and the one you can afford (there'll be a lot more $ on accessories, film and lab) because other than that they are all very good recommended equipment.

Good luck!

Back