DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T2 in favour of T3

G

I just wanted to share my recent experience with the T2. I have loved this camera ever since I bought it about 3.5 years ago, but I had all but stopped using it in recent months, because my G2 was calling me with its siren song.

So last week on a trip to San Francisco, I promised myself that I would use the T2 for some street shooting. Well, results are truly outstanding. Some of the shots of street people are as crisp and sharp as anything that I have ever gotten with my G2. Yeah, I've been tempted to "trade up" to a T3, but whenever I look at some of the photos that I have taken over the years with the T2, I have to ask myself: Why bother?

So my advice to anyone seeking a high quality P&S is to consider a T2, which can probably be gotten for considerably less than a T3.

Hi Robert!

Have You ever tried T3 versus T2. I would be interested if the T3 is also vignetting.

Cheers
Wolfgang

Hmmm, I've run over 100 rolls through my T3 and have yet to see any sign of vignetting (loss of image in the frame corners). Some small percentage of shots show modest light falloff towards the edges, e.g., shots with large expanses of clear northern sky, but light falloff and vignetting are two different things. Zeiss's Biogons, for ex&le, exhibit light falloff that's inherent in the Biogon design. Same with the Hologon. Perhaps the Sonnar design has a similar, but less pronounced tendency?

My take: if anybody's T3 is vignetting, it requires service.

From DP review:

"Vignetting is defined as: Partial masking, or blocking, of peripheral light rays either by intent, or by accident. The blockage of peripheral light rays in a projection lens is due to a lens barrel that is too long, or to an optical system that is not correctly matched to the limiting aperture of the projection lens."

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I believe the two terms are frequently confused. Many cheap P&S zooms truly do vignette; it's much rarer for a fixed focal length lens to do so. The easiest way to experience vignetting for yourself is to stack a couple of filters and a lens hood on a WA lens.

As to whether a T3 is worth the lofty price, I can at least say that used correctly it delivers results as good as any 35mm system camera fitted with a 35mm lens, including the G and the Contax SLRs.

--Rick

Back