DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Odd Contax Question

> Here is a link that talks about the T4. If it has been discontinued, you still might find one at a discount on some camera shelf. Or the > new one w/ the zoom lens might work out for you. I used to use mine alot. Fact, that damn 150 us dollar camera is what got me hooked on CZ. > From there I went to an RTS II, RX, AX, G2, N1 and now the ND! Hooked on CZ! Here is that link:

http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,2281,00.html

>

Hi Jeff,

I have both a Rollei 35S and a T3. They are different but equally fanstastic to use. The T3 is like a baby G1/G2. With the Rollei, you have full control. They're about the same size with the Rollei being heavier.

T3 ($550-$650) - The Sonnar 35/F2.8 is argubly the best lens on a PNS right now. Modern, auto everything with Aperture Priority. Fast shutter speed of 1/1200" and a list of useful Custom Functions. Add-on accessories include filters, hood, a flash bracket SA-2 to take TLA200 (TTL) or other flashes (manual).

Rollei 35 series ($150-$325) - They're considered the ORIGINAL PNS. With "guess" focusing and manual dial adjustments for aperture & shutter, it's much slower to operate than the T3. Mine also has a Sonnar lens (40/F2.8) and it still blows most of today's P-n-S out of the water. Only photo nuts like ourselves may see the different characteristics between the two lenses. BTW, I also use the Contax TLA200 flash head with the Rollei 35S. Works great! Filters are the same size too (30.5mm) so everything can be interchanged.

More info on Rollei 35 series...
http://johnlind.tripod.com/rollei/rolleiframe.html

>Jeff, Whoa, 900 dollars in Colorado? They only retail 650/700(black)! Well, if you want to get the T3 you might want to get it over internet/mail... I got mine locally at Samy's camera in Los Angeles, but yeah! That is pretty outrageous! Yes some places are advertising the T4 Zoom for 199, but of course they don't have stock yet...

See..I was right.. you all are incredible.

OK..Is there any reason I should get a T3 instead of a T2? There are a couple of T2's on Ebay at a good price (couple of hundred $ less than the T3)

Jeff in Colorado

>Hi all, for anyone interested in getting the T4 Zoom, I was browsing on the internet and saw that J&R has the camera, so I called them to see if they had any in stock. THey said they had 10 units and the sales guy (Charlie) asked if I wanted to get one... I hesitated and he said how about 199 shipped, but when I waited a few more seconds to think about it he said how about 190 shipped, so I said okay! I hope it was not a rash decision, but I really do like the 28mm in a P&S and 190 seemed like a great price.

According to the B&H site, the T4 zoom is in stock and sells for $199.95. = B&H also sells the Contax T3 for less than $699 (site says "email for a = better price"). The very reliable DeltaInternational.com sells it for = around $535. (Probably grey market.)

Kirk ------------------------ Posted by ming ting on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:35 am:

>Jeff, Whoa, 900 dollars in Colorado? They only retail 650/700(black)! Well, if you want to get the T3 you might want to get it over internet/mail... I got mine locally at Samy's camera in Los Angeles, but yeah! That is pretty outrageous! Yes some places are advertising the T4 Zoom for 199, but of course they don't have stock yet...

I have studied this market in reasonable depth and £-for-£ the Ricoh GR1s or v is the perhaps solution you are looking for; if you check their site you will find some terrific detail; the ability of the lens is exceptional (as testified by recent dialogue in this forum: cf T3) with a 28mm f2.8 lens. Beyond this the Yashica T4 Zoom just released I have had excellent feedback on initial tests and it has a CZ Zoom lens (28-?), so may be a bit more flexible for you needs. The GR1s/v is so well made; better to use I think than the T4 Zoom, and much cheaper than the T3. I have had truly terrific results from a GR1s – peoples skins tones (+/-flash) are exceptional, general detail, clarity and crisp shots. Good luck. James

I've heard good things about the relatively inexpensive Konica Lexio 70, = which has the same (28-70mm) focal length as the T4 zoom but is notably = faster (f3.4-7.9) and smaller and cheaper. The old Rollei Prego 90 = (28-90mm) with Schneider lens is legendary, and has been replaced by a = Rollei Prego 100 WA (28-100mm). Is anyone familar with these cameras?

Earlier today, someone mentioned the Olympus XA. It was a great little rangefinder camera--out of production now for more than a decade--but to me its shortcomng was the fact that it was a 'blind' manual focus camera. And I also didn't care much for the relatively loud manually ratcheted film advance. In fact, I just sold the one I owned but hadn't used in years on eBay. With either an A11 or A16 (larger) flash, you can have one for somewhere in the US$60-80 range.

But what about another Olympus classic--the Stylus Infinity. I'm talking about the step-autofocus non-zoom 38mm lens model, not some of the others made more recently with zooms. I carried a Stylus Infinity in my briefcase for years and took some great pictures with it. and if I recall correctly, one can still be purchased new for less than US$100.

I can't speak to the lens quality compared to others mentioned here. But I can vouch for some pretty nice pictures I've taken with it.

> > > > I was never satisfied with the quality of the the Olympus XA2 that I > had and recently took it out of the box and tried a roll of 12. Well > the lens in not recessed very far into the body and it is terribly > suspectible to flare. What I have read about more recent models is > that there is quite a variation in production quality and its a crap > shot to get a good one. The good ones are quite good for the money. > The yashica T4 super is noted for the long delay in focusing.if you > can live with the shutter delay and are willing to have after the > event shots then its your camera.

The konica lexio 70 is probably one of the best buys, judging by the reviews on http://www.photographyreview.com/reviews/35mm_cameras/ its one of the few with a useful range of 28-70 with decent specs, and I hope to try one but I have a largest olympus IQzoom35-70 with similar specifications as the old lieca minizoom and it takes pictures only a notch down from a consumer zoom lens on slr. For a small size point and shoot, I bought a old olympus rc for $35 on ebay and I am quite pleased. It fits in a shirt pocket.

Stuart Hechinger waiting for delivery of a yashica fx-3 super 2000 to try out my cz50/1.7 and 85mm2.8s

>

> > >

Back