DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Can 645 with MP1 be effectively mounted onto a tripod

ksklo

I have recently purchased the C645 and am eager to test it out vigorously on the field. However, I am very concerned about the battery consumption and have plans to get the battery holder MP-1. However, when I checked with both Really Right Stuff and Kirk Photo, I found neither of them carrys a camera plate that fits the 645 attached to the MP-1.

Since the camera itself with the lens mounted is already quite heavy, I would be concerned how safe it would be if I can't find a custom made QR plate for the 645/MP-1 combo. Has anybody used one, or could I just order the one for the 645 alone which would also work with the MP-1? If nothing's available I may have to turn to my last resort which is to get the power pack instead of the battery holder. Also is there a L-bracket around that fits this camera? I have been spoiled with L-brackets with my 135 cameras. Thanks for your help.

Ken, I would test the camera before resorting to the added weight and unbalanced feel the grip adds.

I have not specifically encountered the power problem with my camera that has been reported by others. Yes, it goes through batteries faster than some of my other A/F units, but not to the degree that has h&ered shooting (I do weddings).

Also, your shooting style with the camera will determine power usage. I tend to use A/F maybe half the time and manual the other half (one of the features I really like about the C645). I also have the setting on Manual focus and use the thumb button for one time A/F. Perhaps that is why I experience less battery drain than others do (???).

BTW, I have a flip Bracket designed for the C645 for sale. I now use a Kodak 4X4 square digital back which doesn't require flipping the camera for vertical shots.

Marc, thanks for your comments.

In fact I read somewhere that the addition of the MP-1 battery holder would actually make the C645 feel more balanced. Although I haven't tried it, I had great experience with the N1 attached to the P-9, and the vertical grip did help taking portrait pictures.

But with the C645, I doubt I would be taking any portraits seriously, thus the vertical grip is less important. This camera will be more utilized for landscape and product type of work. If the grip does add an unbalanced feel, then definitely I should not add it since the camera itself is quite heavy already.

I had and sold the grip because weight and portability for weddings and travel were issues for me. I'd rather put a spare battery or two in my pack. The trick is to track down an inexpensive source for the batteries. Being forced to buy them at a retail outlet is a costly endeavor.

I found that the C645 breaks down into a fairly compact travel kit which I put into a LowPro Omni Trekker. I remove the prism and it all fits with 3 lenses. I took that into the mountains of Arizona and found it no more cumbersome than a 35mm SLR. The Battery pack made the camera to tall to fit.

Marc, Isn't the Omni Trekker large enough to hold the C645 without removing the prism?
Do you put it into the Pelican hardcase or use the built in backpack harness?
I manage to carry my C645, 2 lenses and other accessories in Lowe-Pro Mini-Trekker backpack without breaking down the body.
Colin

Colin, how do you put the camera in the case? On its' side?
I break it down because the prism is a delicate instrument and I store it in a separate padded compartment. Plus, if I recall correctly, the case wasn't tall enough to accept the camera upright with a T-Pod plate on the camera.

I use the backpack harness when in the field.

There are a few shots I took with this kit in my contax.info portfolio here if you're interested.

I also use the Lowe-Pro Mini-Trekker backpack and manage to carry my C645, 3 lenses (120mm, 35mm, 45-90mm), extra film back, Polaroid back, hoods, filters and other accessories in backpack without breaking down the body. I always use the Domke protective wrap to cover the body and the attached lens.

Still have room for a sandwich in a separate compartment. :)

The backpack is compact and well built. But I can't really hike with the outfit due to the weight.

> I went to Europe in October with a Mine Trekker Classic loaded with two 35mm bodies, three lenses, and a Hasselblad with a 50mm lens on it. Also misc stuff like filters, spare batteries etc. Weighed it all out at just under 15 lbs. As a piece of luggage it was terrific because it allowed me to carry all my gear in balance so that both hands were always free for other work. It was too heavy to carry while out walking so I selected equipment pieces each day in order to keep the weight down to less than ten lbs. Could then carry it sidesaddle on either side or on my back. A terrific system that worked out exactly as I had planned. Lowepro stuff is a wonderful value. Got this one from B&H for $69.95 plus modest shipping.

Albert, YOU HAVE THE 45-90 !!!!!

Talk to me about it. Is it slow focusing? Is it hard to focus manually in low light? Is it to heavy?

Dale, I agree with you. I eventually switched all my gear to LowPro bags. Very efficient use of space. Easy to carry because the weight is close to your body.

Marc,

Yes the 45-90mm zoom is very heavy. But well balance with the C645 body. I just got this lens not long ago and have not even received my rebate check. I have shot a few rolls of 160NPC and mainly landscape & streets with the tripod. The result is as anyone can expect from the Carl Zeiss quality. Slight light fall off in the widest end when wide open.

AF speed? well, consider it is a f/4.5 with 2.5lbs of glass to move, it is as fast as my "N1" if you know what I mean. Very acceptable as I mainly use the manual AF button. The manual focus in low light is not bad consider the C645 viewfinder is not as crisp as the N1. Not really a problem. Please do not compare it with the M6 with the 35mm f/1.4. :) In fact, I was very surprised how responsive the lens was when the first time I handled it at the store a year ago. The AF is very positive in its class.

One thing nice about the lens design is the Internal Focusing where the length of the lens barrel does not change in focusing, and it only change its length very little (5mm) when change the zoom range.

I have not stress tested it with wedding, photojournalism, travel, street photography, people type of work which this lens is designed for. I am going to do more of these in the coming year.

My first impression is very positive. If I pick one lens with the C645, this is the one I would carry.
With 95mm filter size and over 2.5 lbs in weight, I was hoping it is a f/2.8 lens. It would have cost a fortune though.

Back