DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Old OMlenses on E1

ardvup

Hi,

After many years using OM2(SP) and OM4Ti's I am thinking about entering the world of digital with perhaps the E1.
Could anyone advise whether my many OM lenses and accessories can be used on the E-system.I know the 4:3 format has been developed for this camera, but have yet to see the lens-camera mount.
My OM system includes a full range of Macro lenses, bellows and shift lenses, and many fast Zeiko fixed focal and zoom lenses.
If OM lenses do not fit the E1, is there any adaptor available (and is there a trade off in performance).
Any advice is welcome.

Yes it most definitely is possible, I have an Olympus OM adapter for the E-1 and you can get it if you ask your Olympus dealer or apply directly to Olympus.

Simon

[A little known adaptor is actually available, but you have to look = hard to find it. It adapts OM lenses to the E-1, but without most of the = automatic functions, of course. It means you can use an OM Zuiko 300 mm = for ex&le, which saves throwing it away if you buy the E-1. I, like = you, have a large range of OM lenses from 18mm to a 600mm, and when I = bought the E-1 I was not wanting to consign them to be retired. I have = the adaptor, (so I know it exists!) and it works well with the caveats I = mention above.=20 The trade off is the fact that you have to use it in stop down mode, = so focussing is a little bit of a challenge, and of course there is no = auto focus, and automatic functions are very limited. I am not sure it = is worth using an OM lens in place of a digital lens, as the trade off = is quite high, but for the odd shot it is certainly worth having. I hope that helps.

Hi Simon,

this would be great news. Can you upload an image so that we know how it looks like? Is it small/big?

Is it from Olympus itself or a third party manufacturer?

What are the pro and cons? How does focussing, aperture etc. works?

A little known adaptor is actually available, but you have to look = hard to find it. It adapts OM lenses to the E-1, but without most of the = automatic functions, of course. It means you can use an OM Zuiko 300 mm = for ex&le, which saves throwing it away if you buy the E-1. I, like = you, have a large range of OM lenses from 18mm to a 600mm, and when I = bought the E-1 I was not wanting to consign them to be retired. I have = the adaptor, (so I know it exists!) and it works well with the caveats I = mention above.=20 The trade off is the fact that you have to use it in stop down mode, = so focussing is a little bit of a challenge, and of course there is no = auto focus, and automatic functions are very limited. I am not sure it = is worth using an OM lens in place of a digital lens, as the trade off = is quite high, but for the odd shot it is certainly worth having. I hope that helps.

You need to speak to Oly. They may have some left and/or let you have one for free, but I am not sure what the current position is. I can say that the adapter is made to a very high standard.

Simon

Back