DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica RDigital Back

Jerry,

So, we are back to the good old card reader

Your complaints are rather odd and it is evident that you have no practical knowledge of working with the DMR. You are seeing problems where there are none.

What is wrong with a card reader? Its cost is negligible (less than £10 in Switzerland) and transfers are much faster than by connecting the camera directly to a computer. You must be a masochist if you want to connect the camera directly for downloading pictures.

The portable hdd may come handy if you have lots of pictures and no computer. I bought one and have never had to use it. With three 1GB memory cards I usually have enough for a days' shooting. If you shoot more than 170 shots in a row, you may need one. Most people do not.

I always use a card reader. Not only are they much faster (assuming USB2 or Firewire) but I also find them less of a hassle.

100 - 150 shots is not great by today's standards, but liveable. I have the reverse problem with my 1DsII, which is rated at over 1000 shots per charge. I sometimes forget to check it after several shooting days and am suddenly surprised I'm low! Of course the dang battery weighs over half a pound.

Peter, nice shot - shows off the fine dynamic range of the DMR.

Gilbert, DJ,

Thank you for your kind words. It is so much easier to make good shots with the DMR.

It is not only the DMRs dynamic range. Having to manually focus and spend time on each shot is a great incentive: back to basics, composing and thinking instead of just holding down a button and hoping one out of 20 shots might be a keeper.

Another one:

96884.jpg

<center>Market in Antibes, French Riviera - R8+DMR - Vario Elmar 4/35-70 - f/4 1/90 ISO=100</center>

96885.jpg

<center>100% crop</center>

Geez, Peter, I can't believe you'd just go around shooting a bunch of dummies
lol.gif
. I fully agree that having to deal with manual focusing makes you get more involved in the shot. In my case I also have to do stop down metering.

DJ,

In my case I also have to do stop down metering

DJ you need to make the move to the DMR, the Leica lenses working like normal instead of stop down is like going to heaven.

BTW, do you know the DMR thread on Fred Miranda? It has reached page 215 and is a great source of information for all DMR (prospective) owners.

Regards
Peter

96888.jpg

<center>Villefranche-sur-Mer, C&ocirc;te d'Azur - French Riviera, Yacht port
R8+DMR - Vario Elmar 4/35-70 - f/8.0 1/180 ISO=100</center>

Talking about battery life and stop down metering..

My ND is a dog for battery consumption, but I can manage over 100 shots per charge with the 2500mAh batteries.

Carl zeiss lenses are nice for the Canon dSLR, but stop down metering does not work for me as I shot 2K image per a wedding. With the Canon, I never need to change battery in a given wedding day. The problem of Canon is the lens, sharp, but color sucks, very poor in flare. Hence, I still use my ND as a 3rd body, which still have AF (slow AF is better than no AF in wedding.) The problem of the ND is, every three consecutive shots, the camera freezes 30 secs to dump the buffer.

I read a lot of nice comments about the DMR, including the long tread in FM. My question is, now many consecutive shots you can make with the DMR?

Back