DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

90mm 20 chrome vs black

J

jrh

I have a chrome M6TTL .72. I have 50mm and 35mm chrome lenses so far. Should I buy a chrome 90mm or black. Pros and cons please as I'm not sure.

Dear Janet

Your question is about cosmetics and your personal sense of aesthetic tastes than any thing else. So it is not an easy one to answer.

Personally I prefer chome finished cameras and lenses, but have to have settle black for some, because they don't come in chrome. The black ones look pretty good on the chrome/black cameras. And the chrome lenses look quite funky on my old black M5.

So in conclusion, I say mix and match.

best wishes craig

The difference between the black and chrome versions is not purely cosmetic: according to the Leica lens book, the Summicron 50 mm f/2, for ex&le, weighs 240 grams in black, and 335 grams in chrome, a whopping 40% increase. The difference is due to the aluminum outer lens mount for the black version, and brass for the chrome version.

Does anyone have any practical experiences as to durability etc. differences between the black and chrome versions of the various M lenses?

Regards,

R. Aker
Paris

> I don't know about 90mm to 90mm, but my most used lens (Summilux 1.4, purchased around 1970 still looks and functions as new, whereas my black lenses show more wear and one has a little slop during focus.

Marvin

In terms of their functionality, the lenses are equally durable. The black finish is anodized onto the aluminum and is said to wear a little quicker than the chrome finish, FWIW.

The difference in weight is considerable, the chrome 50mm Summicron is a very heavy lens IMO and unbalances the camera.

The weight difference between chrome & black, as others have pointed out, can be substantial & affect the balance of the camera. The weight of my chorme ASPH 35 1.4 tips the camera forward; I much prefer using the black version & this is the lens permanently on my M2. I've had the black one from new for about 6 years & so far it hasn't picked up any abrasion marks. I would not consider myself to be particularly careful about protecting the camera. Cheers, David

Thanks for the feedback on the black v chrome finish. I was, however, also interested in finding out whether anyone had any experience with respect to mechanical durability and other effects of aluminum v brass in the lens.

If you want black, sell your camera and get everything black, that's what I would do.
If I liked chrome I would stick with chrome.
Just DO what You REALLY want to do.
I wonder how much money is wasted with this capitalistic obsession...and how many beautiful photographs could have resulted from the same amount of psychic energy.
rofl.gif

> You mean we are supposed to take pictures??? My wife will be so relieved--now where can I buy some film? This could be a whole new concept!!! For the record my lenses are mixed some black, some chrome--although I will allow that a Chrome lens looks a little strange on a titanium body. Best of luck, Jack Actually take some pictures--wow!!!

Vincente:

I agree with you that personal taste is very important. If the color difference between black and chrome was the only difference, I would agree with you that personal taste should rule. However, it seems to me, a lens made out of different material (brass instead of aluminum) weighing 40% more (the brass version being heavier) in one supposedly identical version becomes an issue potentially transcending personal taste. I was simply trying to find out if there were were any issues other than personal taste as a result of these major differences, which are rather unusual (as far as I know, the only instance of such major differences, the Contax G2 and its lenses, for ex&le, being identical, as far as I know, between the titanium and black versions).

Back