DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Noctilux as a starter

That is the other side of the Noctilux that people rarely mention. It is big and heavy. And my conception of Leica is small and easily portable, like the Elmar-M for ex&le.

Well, the debate sound very interesting.
First of all I never tried (unfortunately) a Noctilux and so my ideas were based on my general knowledge of lenses and some information read on books and on the net.
Happy to hear that in real life situations it can be also used stopped down with good results..even if these good results are not equal to Summicron's.
More than weight a potential problem comes from rangefinder accuracy: not a problem with M3 or high magnification M6/M7/MP but still a challenging effort with the other bodies.
In conclusion, I'd love to have one but only to pair up with my S'Cron which I'd never give away!
Ciao
k

Dear Paolo,

it is not a matter of giving away your beloved Cron. If you have a Noctilux, you should have an additional 50mm-lens.

I have got M6(0.72) and M7(0.85) and I never have had focussing problems with my Noctilux. I admit that focussing with 0.85 magnification is faster. But the range finder accuracy of the 0.72 magnification is sufficient enough for aperture 1.

Regards Jochen

Dear Jochen,
it seems that we all agree here: Noctilux is a lens that is not substituting a "normal" lens.
I'm glad also that is perfectly usable with the 0.72 finder: i'd love to give it a try with my M3.

Ciao
k

Dear Paolo,

the reason that I recommand to you to keep your Cron is the the fact that Nocti is really too heavy to carry it along all the time. Nocti for M3 is great of course because of its wide effective base length. Thanks to Juan for this link.

Jochen

Dear Juan,
Oh, I know that my M3 is 0.91, it's the main reason why I bought it!
Regarding the link: yes, it's probably the best source for free informations and evaluations on quality photographic tools: I love that site and even if the guy is actually selling stuff its reccomendations seems to me mostly honest.
That's definetly not a common thing these days.
For another great link try: www.dantestella.com

ciao
k

Thanks, Paolo.
I obviously had misinterpreted your previous post. Thanks for your link!

Juan

Dear Joseph,

it would be very fine, if you inform us that you have changed your mind in the meantime. You opened up this thread because you were thinking about buying M7 together with Nocti. We tried to help you through our postings. While we were discussing your problems you opened up two different threads, where you told us that you hardly can´t await getting your new R9.

I think it is a matter of politeness to tell those people, who are discussing your problems here in this thread, that and why you have changed your mind.

Jochen

Back