DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Black & White TriX or what

Lynn,

I mostly order my film from B&H (there are few more big online shops that specialize in film only, but I'm loyal B&H customer). How about Fuji Reala or even Fuji Superia? I don't know if they scan well, but they sure produce very decent results. When Reala just came out, a lot of minilabs couldn't print it well, but ever since they have figured all the quirks so you can develop and print it almost anywhere (although I personally use A&I processing mailers).

I always have about half dozen Reala rolls, since they don't have special storage requirements and they're inexpensive and produce neat results. Although recently I shoot more and more with NPS 160 (absolutely love this film). Also, B&W is a good idea for a starter as well.

Dirk,

I have a sugesstion. Why not create top-level forum for film, processing, printing and photolabs? Since now, photolabs is part of "Events, Photo-labs, Books & More", while film is under "photo technical questions" and processing/printing probably falls under both categories. What do you think?

Mike.

This is all very odd about the Supra.
I have using the NEW Supra 200 (released ealier this year),
and found it to be almost grain free. On a data sheet, Kodak said this film is optimized for scanning,
but I cannot find it on their web site??
I also bought their NEW Supra 400.

Mike - I'll try Reala for my nephew. Good suggestion. For a boy who currently refers to black and white movies as having "bad graphics" I don't think I'll sway him to try B&W film just yet. Maybe in the years to come though. Thanks
happy.gif

William - I guess you saw the link I provided just a few messages back regarding discontinued Supra on Kodak's web site?

Paul - good luck at the demonstration! -Lynn

Lynn, yes thanks, I responded to your mention of Supra being discontinued.
The NEW Supra 200 was released about 4 months ago to replace the 100.
Supra 200 is not mentioned on Kodak's site, but is available here in Australia.
This is an excellent film, but a mystery at the same time.
Perhaps someone else knows more?
William

Wilson, Just bought and used a roll this week. Hate it!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not 400; more like 200.
My dealer told me it has replaced Royal Gold (not is Royal Gold) I will give it another try before I condemn it entirely.
This was in my M6 in that Tamrac case I wrote about yesterday. The only Kodak film I have ever had to underate the IS0 on was Vericolour 160, which I typically rated as 125 or even 100. I have always found Kodak very good with respect to the speed stated.
I am not a fan of fast films and consider Provia 100 my maximum for slides and was a fan of Royal 25 colour print film. This RG400 neg. film is extremely grainy in my books.
Colin

Colin, Perhaps Kodak have realised that they got the film speed wrong, as the only speed they are marketing in France is 200. As for the scanning concerns spoken about in other posts, I am not too worried about film scanning as I have given up on this, never getting any worthwhile results, apart from old B&W glass quarter plates taken by my grandfather in the late 19th century. I now get my films well printed in say 6 x 4 inches and scan those prints in, if I want to manipulate digitally. In the UK I use a Canon D2400UF with film scanning attachment. I have no option but to scan prints in France, where I only have a Flatbed Canon LIDE20. 7dayshop, who I use when in UK were not keen on posting to France and nearest semi-pro shop does not seem to keep as wide a range of films as do UK shops. France has gone even more digital(numerique) than UK. Wilson

I read another link on one of the sites that Paul gave us and they state that Kodak Royal Gold and Kodak Supra were both replaced and the replacement is now Kodak Royal Supra. If you think about it, that does actually make sense since it seems to be a combined name. I know that B&H sells it somewhat cheaply. I don't know of a European source, but B&H ships anywhere I think.

Take care everyone, -Lynn

I've been trying the Fuji Neopan 400 b&w films and I love them. They have exactly the hardness and sharpness I'm after in my photographs.
I like the Ilford Delta too, but it's too soft for my taste.
If you like hard, crisp b&w photos, give the Fuji Neopan a try.

I have a recommendation for a black and white film that some of you who do your own darkroom work may find interesting. I used Agfa ISO 50 film as an color split negative film for making dye transfer prints. While experimenting with various development regimes to tame the contrast curve I found that there was a way to obtain the very elusive Sabattier effect whereby microscopic areas of differing contrast are outlined by lines made of single grains of silver. It makes for the most astounding sharpness and about 15 stops of contrast. I used Agfa Rodinal at 68 degrees F. The first step is to wet the film with water for one minute followed by a 30 second drain followed Rodinal at 1/15 dilution for two minutes with normal agitation. Then the Rodinal is drained and saved followed by another water bath using fresh water with an initial 10 second agitation only for two minutes. After this the saved Rodinal with normal agitation for one minute followed by a two minute water bath with only initial ten second agitation. This one minute Rodinal two minute water bath cycle is repeated until negative density is satifactory. My experience was that the intial 1/1 exposure followed by three 1/2 cycles were good for my purposes. You may need more or less if the film is used in a camera normally. I haven't tried this with the newer APX films but would like to hear the results if anyone would like to try it. Another result of this development regime is that the color response curves of the film for red, green and blue colors are exactly the same. This may also be useful to some.

>

Back