DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The Zeiss 45mm/f2.8 pancake lens

By Lynn Loeffel on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 6:40 pm: Print Post Edit Post
> Dirk and the rest of the group, I apologize for typing what I did. -Lynn

No apology needed. You were right.

Dave

and i am working too much. plus all the ignorance around me. i still wonder why people have so much time comparing lenses. it seam to be more interesting compairing instead of shooting. there were times-when i started buying contax after having bad experience with lens quality-olympus om-zuiko-lenses-i tested every lens. then i realized there is only one more expensive brand-leica-but not better-optically.

>i still wonder why people have so much time comparing lenses.<

It is interesting to read the experiences of other people with different pieces of equipment. There is a lot of valuable experience out there, and I for one like to profit from the experience of others. Optical excellence is not the only important characteristic of a lens.

Alex

Dear all,

The question is raised by me. I am surprised that the discussion became emotional after 2 days. First of all, I have to say that Lynn did nothing wrong. I am eagerly to discuss rationally. So I am giving my response to Michael rationally.

1. Demand increasing is not resulting in price increasing. Market price is a mix of a lot of parameters, like market maturity, product life cycle, technology change, objective of marketer, market penetration extent.......etc.

2. Production cost rises not only on one type of lens, but all. If this was the reason why T45 price increasing, it should happened to P50, too.

3. Not all people can afford to buy and try all CZ lens. I cannot at least. I am here to appreciate that Dirk founded the Web-site. We can get the valueable information without paying high price to learn.

Regards,
Francis.

cz-lenses are very very cheap used. just have a look into the several photomagazines. you need not mmx, my zeiss-lenses are 22 years old and they are still the best ones. since i jumped from olympus to contax in 1978 i do need not test and compare anymore. if one cannot afford zeiss then buy cheaper lenses but do not complain about inferiour quality. some years a go some nikon-professionals told me the know the light-reflexion-problem(shooting under difficult contrast sceneriey like in the mountains) has beeen solved better with zeiss-lenses. but they must use nikon because of other superiorities of the nikon-system. ok there are also differences between different zeiss-lenses. the g2-90mm is such a case. is not perfect in the edges. maybe the tester did not check every third negative. because the second will be bent outside the cartridge. even leica-people confessed this problem. thats why my next camera will be rrtsIII again, with the sucking system. all tests made without the optical bench must then be questioned- if lens was not tested with rtsIII. i only want help and people profitting from my year-long experiences.

I shoot most often with an Aria and the 45mm Tessar. I got into Contax because of this lens... at the time, Nikon had yet to release their 45mm, Pentax was being idiotic about making their 45mm pancake widely available, and Olympus had discontinued theirs, so I went with the Aria and the Tessar.

The idea was to have a SLR I could just wander about and take pictures with, and not worry about weight. I'm not into rangefinders or P&Ses (I love Depth of Field preview too much), so a small SLR with a tiny lens was the perfect compromise.

The results are phenomenal: in the right light, the tonality and subtlety of color are amazing, I learned the value of good bokeh, and yes, it's tack sharp. I will second the sentiment expressed by someone else that it can be a bit too contrasty in glaring bright light, tho... images can look overexposed under the wrong circumstances.

All in all, a great performer. My particular ex&le had awful build quality, tho. It's already got a cleaning mark, and the focus action is too stiff, causing the lens helical to come loose, to the barrel of the lens rotates a small amount when you focus it, very disconcerting. I'm sending it in for another repair, but I may just get another. I've been told that poorly made lenses of this type are very rare... just got (un)lucky, I guess.

Flaws and all, I use it more often than my exquisite 28mm f/2.8 and so-so 80-200 f/4. (This was also a turkey in build quality... it focuses past infinity to unsharpness, the filter threads unscrewed off the barrel along with the polarizer, and the zoom action is way too stiff. Image quality is nothing short of awesome, tho.)

I like the slightly wider "normal" aspect of the 45mm vs. a 50mm, the Tessar provides a distinctive "look" that's neither Planar nor Distagon, and I really like it's tiny size... the 50mm 1.7 and 1.4 may offer slightly better image quality, but they are big and bulky.

So, I say, "Go for it!" Warts and all, I'm not unhappy with mine as a daily shooter.

Matt Gabriel

Hi Matt,

I agree though I have just used the T45 for 1 1/2 months. The performance seems better than the MTF's description. My main purpose to buy this is to want to have a camera in pocket. I always use it with my 159 w/o winder. A little bigger than Aria + T45.

The biggest Aperture is f2.8 so that the out of focus effect is not signigicant. However, the perspective is very closed to human eyes which is good for street snap short. Will discover more later.

Francis.

Hello All,

I wanted to mention a problem I've recently discovered using this lens. The rear element/housing has been touching the mirror on my RTSII thus causing it to lock/jam until I released the lens from the body. It didn't happen on the 159mm nor the RTSIII. It seems it happens only with the II. I'm not sure if the mirror needs adjustment or the lens (photos seems focused), but it would seem strange for an AE lens from the same era to have problems (older version with green arrow and f8).

Last few days I had a big augment with another e-bay member concerning this. Could anyone give an opinion on the dots in the lens.
361374.jpg

Back