DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Paint it Black

I have the black laquer version which I purchased as a kit whit the 28, 45, 90 mm lenses and TLA200 flash but the lenses are black anodized. Dave

Hello,
How do you tell whether the black version is black titanium or laquered and which is the more valuable/desirable? I have a black kit in an aluminium Contax case all bought in Singapore in 1997. I do find that the black finish fingermarks badly whereas my titanium "silver" titanium finish T2 does not suffer from this at all. I would expect that the titanium finish G2 would not be troubled by it either.
John

Hi David, out of interest does the combo of lacquered body and anodised lenses look odd?

Eh! Hem! .... John you could not possibly have bought the 1999 lacquer version in 1997 ..... so you must have ...... the a******d version
happy.gif

See the photos above .... the 1997 version is said to be grey-er, that's because it's takes a lot of effort to get a true black when anodising aluminium or titanium. I would expect the anodised version to show some metallic surface finishing marks, while the lacquered version would not!

And .... they are all desireable to me
happy.gif

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

Hi Bob
I don't think the combo looks odd but the laquer is difficult to keep looking good. If I go over it with lens cleaner it looks like new. Dave

Thanks David and John.

Even though the black versions may have a little more "kudos", your comments have swung me towards the vanilla Titanium "silver" version! It seems both black versions show up paw marks too easily! And I don't need the sneak factor of a black body.

Besides, I guess the "silver" lenses are more numerous (and possibly cheaper, for that!).

You know what will happen now, don't you? I'll talk myself into buying a G2 and those pesky Kyocera people will announce the G3 or even a G3 Digital ..... don't worry, I won't hold my breathe
happy.gif

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

Bob:

I hope that does not happen to you, but unlike most, you could place it on a shelf next to your ever-expanding chart as another ex&le.

Never the less you will enjoy a G2

Good Luck

Gilbert

Bob,
I had to buy a silver 35mm in 1998 since I couldn't find a black one. It looks OK on the black body but that might be another reason to go for the silver body version. The 35mm is my favourite. I don't know if they now do a black 35mm.
I'm sure I bought my kit in 1997 enroute for Australia. In which case, it must be the anodised one but it looks more like the laquered version in your pictures. I wonder if the serial number would throw any light on it.
John

Back