DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

My Digital Camera Has A Lot in Common With My Laptop

leegold

Hi,

I wanted to talk about a revelation I had. I'm sure most folks already know this but it didn't "click" for me until recently.

So I've had Nikon film cameras, Yashica TLRs, friends had Leica M series rangefinders. Good stuff and good lenses. These cameras were family heirlooms passed down through generations...you get what I'm saying right?

Recently a pretty good DSLR I bought in 2008 broke (the sensor went bad), I contacted the manufacturer's office/repair center in the US and they said basically, the camera's too old, we do not fix it any more, service life finished/discontinued, parts are gone - removed from stock, done, finished.

The camera took a pretty good picture when it worked and the glass (lens) is pretty good too. Yes, there are newer models but I liked it.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this digital camera has more in common with my laptop then with my analog film cameras...it's busted and ready for the recycle bin.

Thanks, I needed to "vent".

Hi Lee,

yes, this is the downside of the superfast innovation cycles in the photoindustry over the past 15 years. Like with computers, every 2 years a new model came out which made it almost twice as good as the older model.

The good news is, that this speed is significantly slowing down since 2012. For example the Nikon D800 was a benchmark for fullframe cameras and even the successor (D810 in 2014) did not bring much new on the table in image quality. I do not expect surprises in IQ with the freshly announced D850 regarding IQ. Same goes for the Nikon D7100 (APS-C) and its successor D7200 and D7500. In the MFT world, we have seen now already many generations with more or less the same 16MP sensor. First with AA filter, now without. The new 20MP sensors in the top models of MFT are not that much different.

Even the beststeller, the Sony RX100 is not dramatically different to its fifth generation, the RX100 Mk V in image quality.

Partly this is because almost the whole industry is getting the sensors from Sony. Partly because there is a limited space to improve the Bayer sensor concept. You can add more and more pixels. But who needs that?

The Sigma Foveon sensor is a totally different concept and showed in the Sigma Merrill line, what it is able to do. Unfortunately Sigma decided to change the original concept of the Foveon sensor with the successors of the DP Merrills and IQ became worse.

So I do not expect wonders over the next years regarding IQ. This is good for us because

a) prices are going down the less the brands can differentiate from each other in IQ
b) the different brands have to compete with features and usability to be able to sell new products

The latter one is slowly starting now. Although connectivity for sharing images is still in the stone age compared to smartphones...

So it is a great time now to buy a new camera. If you check carefully your needs and the promotions, you can make bargains with impressive IQ and features. No matter whether you want to stay with DSLRs or switch to MLU.

Best wishes

What are the best places to get used digital cameras that are checked-out and have some semblance of a guarantee?

I understand what you're saying but I'm off the "new digital camera train" for good.

Hi Lee,

What are the best places to get used digital cameras that are checked-out and have some semblance of a guarantee?...

I am afraid only at the dealer in your town.

What are the best places to get used digital cameras that are checked-out and have some semblance of a guarantee?

There is no guarantee at all when buying used. You must test the camera yourself before paying for it.

Where to find them? I stalk my local online buy and sell site. I have two requirements before I attempt to contact the seller. The price must be below $150 and the location must be not more than a two-hour drive away from me.

I have two requirements before I attempt to contact the seller. The price must be below $150 and the location must be not more than a two-hour drive away from me.

You set the price no matter for which camera at 150 USD?

Back