DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

R lenses on digital SLR bodies

i am using a 50 Summicron f2 lens on my Canon 1Ds ... loving every moment of it .. though it become virtually impossible to focus when step down to f11 onwards ... it is still ok for me coz i rarely shoot beyond f4 for this lens ... I am very new to leica R lenses ... so still exploring ... more used to the M system ... thinking of getting the 21 f4 or the 19 f2.8 to try with my DSLR ... any comments

Uhm..Anthony...
How about the Kodak SLR/c?
It is 1:1 full frame body and..more cheap than Canon 1Ds..

Recently, I interest to mount my R-lens on other DSLR, too. ^^

I will choose between canon 1Ds and Kodak SLR/c.
1Ds has the benefit of Body, SLR/c has the benefit of Price.

I'm really hard to choose.^^

I don't use either camera, but would suggest that the Canon would be a better purchase.
They have millions of owners around the world and provide top service to professsional users.
Kodak on the other hand has a track record of introducing products and then dropping them IMHO.
They should stick at what they do best..making film and downsizing the company. I don't believe that Kodak will have a professional DSLR on the market in 5 years. They will however be very prolific in the digital world.
Colin

I played with the SLR/c the other day at the dealer. The build quality is not very good (bad comparing to the 1D family.) The main concern for me is the the Kodak is only good for low ISO and very slow capture rate. Even I don't shoot spot and I found it very slow to write and preview. The new Canon Digic II image processor engine produce great image even in very hi ISO and very long exposure. Handling is bar none.

But again, $3500 for a 14 meg full frame dSLR, it is not a bad deal if it suits your style. It is good for what it is built for. In my case, after I tried it briefly at the dealer, I know the Kodak is not for me. I have a ND and learn that low ISO and slow capture is a real limitation. After shooting the 20D for a few months, the 1D Mark II with a 1.3x FOC is a good compromise for me. I shot my ND in studio.

Has anyone tried mounting R lenses on a Nikon body? I'm interested in how/if they've done it.

Thanks.
Bill.

CicLF> As I understand it Canon is the only DSLR where you can use CicLF> Leica R lenses with an adapter.

Back