DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Contax Digital

S

spluff

Hi Guys,

I have heard a rumour about a new Contax full chip digital to be announced in the next week at some event in Hanover.

Does anybody else know about this?

Cheers, Saras

Hi Saras,

I do not think so. If a new Contax digital will come out, it will be shown at Photokina first I think. I do not know any event over the next 2 weeks in Germany, on which it would make sense to show somthing this important for Contax.

There should have been shown already a ND2 in February this year, but it was postponed for various reasons.

My sources are telling me that this year will be a good Contax year. And probably at a price more people can live with. So lets wait and hope.

Thanks Dirk,

Hopefully it is a good year for Contax - in the meantime, I'll keep saving!!

Cheers, Saras

I certainly am hoping for a friendlier priced (say 3000-4000 euro max) digital contax. Be it DSLR or DRF.. fingers crossed for photokina!

Marco >

Do you mean that Contax might issue a ND2 within the forseeable future? What were their reasons for delay? I have an N1 with lenses and like it very much but really want to go digital. I am thinking of trading a whole bunch of equipment to get an R8 and then a digital back. Any advice?

I am very impressed with djg's photographs on the gallery using a ND. I have the N system and am thinking of getting out of Contax altogether. Are there any postings by ND users illuminating the pros and cons of the system and ideas about buying an ND. Has the ND been upgraded or modified since its introduction?

Hi Stan,

if you go to the ND threads within this forum, you will find many posting especially from Fotografz, DJG and Irakly. They are now all very satisfied, after the new Photoshop plugin became available.

You can click on their profile and will find a link to their Contax Photo Gallery. There are many ND shots among them.

Or go directly to the Photo gallery, click on Members and the look for username fotografz and Irakly.

Third alternative: You can do there a search with the keyword ND

Thanks so much for the personal note. It is very helpful. I must admit to dithering about this, particularly since I am not sure where to buy an ND. Any suggestions? Adorama just sold one on Ebay for $2900 and I guess you can purchase a service contract.

The gallery is simply superb! Not just the photos, but the professional manner in which you have arranged and presented it all. It is a joy to use. Thanks an congratulations.

Stan (not Steve - sorry, long day at the office!),

Thanks for the nice words. As Dirk mentioned, you'll find many excellent ND shots from various members. The ND has some shortcomings: slower autofocus, small buffer, 4 sec startup time and big battery consumption, but has excellent tonal range, ergonomics and feel, not to mention the Zeiss glass, which zooms are just about second to none, though not especially light-weight. It CAN take good action shots often, but don't bet your life on it.

The raw format with the Adobe plugin is a real joy to use, but it's "blind" at the camera - it can't be previewed until you load it to the PC and use the software. But hey, that's just like film :). I have found the exposures tend to be dark off the bat, but that works in preserving the inherent tonal range - that's what Photoshop is for, and we're not talking jump through hoops adjustments, but basic saturation, brightness and contrast to get you in the sweet zone. The additional tools Photoshop provides give you even more control.

Good luck in your quest, wherever it takes you!

DJ

Contrary to the rest of the world it is still possible to find the N Digital at Japanese stores, but that's not my point. Until some weeks ago the price tag for the N Digital would be around 630 thousand yen, but today I went to my favorite camera store, and guess what ? There was a new price tag for the camera, around 430 thousand yen. It seems Kyocera is dumping its stocks. So, now it's to wait for the new N Digital at Photokina, I think.
proud.gif

Back