DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

You can have a look at the R9 at www.leicapages.com

I was quite disappointed that why it take 6 years to make such a insignificant improvement to the R8. Should not bother to rename it or just name it R8.2. It does not even justify to be name R9 in the first place.

You may have a point there, that it would have been more reasonable to name it R8.2 than R9. But why have you been disappointed? What have you been expecting?

In my opinion, the R8 is in it's class the best camera body that has been developed. If you would have asked me in advance, what I would like to have seen improved on the R8, I would have had difficulities to give you an answer.

Yes, the R9 is better than the R8. But in general the improvements are only marginal for daily photography. To be honest I don't realy care about the R9 and I am still very happy with my R8.

Now wait a minute guys. You are the same bunch that say NO to AF M bodies and yet you decry the evolution rather than revolution in the R series. Interesting psychology to us Leica users. I would think that this should not have come as a surprise at all. This has been Leica practice for 50 years and the last great revolutionary step was greatly criticized by Leica users (the R3). The next one will really be a shock (when Leica unveils its AF body and lenses and a digital SLR to accompany it). My guess is 2004.

I looked at the R9 today and was also disappointed. The weight savings are not significant enough to really feel it.

The speed dial and metering settings are still looking very much plastic. The backplate is not much better neither.

Apart of that the same body dimensions, which is for me personnaly to uncomfortable. The formed grip for the hands is not really helpful with heavy lenses.

And worse the connecting metal for the shoulderstarp on the right side is still at this stupid place where it presses uncomfotably in your hand while holding it.

My resumé for now is rather disappointing. A lack of attention to detail in the second version of the R8 (i would not call it a new model) and at the same time a price increase.

I know there are some improvements, but these should have been done actually already with the R8. I.e. I do not see the metering lock in the average weighted metering now (finally) as somtehing we should be thankful if we put so much money on the table...

Who shall understand this?

dirk

P.S: But as always. Leica has a nice stand on the photokina. At least they know how to make very good marketing
happy.gif

Niche marketing... Leica makes rangefinders the way Porsche makes sports cars - and Leica making an SLR is a bit like the Porsche SUV, some people will never like it.

After I started using my Contax G1 I stopped using my SLR (it seems so huge now). I really, really want to try an M7... !!!

This is mostly a test. I have had no problem with the R8 when I owed one. It is probably the best, IMO, SLR body I have owned, except for the weight (the body and combined lenses

Back