DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

G

This was my first Leica R, which I bought when I was 18 years old. Some people mentioned in the internet, that the R4 is not as reliable as the R5, but I had never a problem with it.

The difference between the different R4 models is marginal, but sometimes worth it from the usability perspective (easier to handle). Especilally the model R4s mod.2

dirk

I purchased an R4S new. Had problems with the electronics and sent it back to US Leica repair several times during warrenty period. Several years ago the film advance mechanism jammed. Cost more than the original price of the camera to get it repaired by Leica. The older R Zoom lens that were made by Minolta and Sigma had bad optics. The Angenieux 35-70 was much better in color and contrast, however the macro mode had a vignetting problem along with pin cushion distortion. Great on landscapes where these faults were not noticable. The best Leicas I have owned are the M3 single stroke and the M2. In a weak moment I sold both of these cameras. I am now trying to replace them. I sold the R4s while it was still working.

I may have had the odd unit, but I owned an R4S for 4 years and it always functioned perfectly for me. My biggest complaints were that the black finish developed that white-ish look on some of the nooks and crannies, and that the other Leica users I know thumbed their noses at me when I used it.

The R4s I purchased new worked perfectly for 15 years, then the aperture control ring started getting gummy - a CLA fixed this. My biggest complaints with the camera were the poor implementaion of manual metering and not being able to focus as easily as with the SL.

I still have an R4sP (it's my daughter's now) and it occasionally has problems with frame overlap but it can be forgiven 'cus I rebuilt it from a wreck.

BOUGHT AN R4S USED FROM A WELL KNOWN AND WELL ADVERTISED DEALER AND REALLY GOT A VERY UNFAIR DEAL. METERING FAILED DURING FIRST ROLL OF FILM. AFTER WRANGLING WITH THE DEALER FOR 3 MONTHS I FINALLY SENT THE THING TO LEICA IN NEW JERSEY, WHERE THEY CLA'D THE BODY, AND IT HAS WORKED UNFAILINGLY FOR 10 YEARS. THE WHOLE THING, HOWEVER, NICKED MY CONFIDENCE IN THE R4S, AND TO THIS DAY I CARRY A BLACK SL AS BACKUP, JUST IN CASE IT GOES SOUR AGAIN. SL JUST WORKS LIKE A LEICA SHOULD.

Does anyone know of a quick source for the replacement foam (ractangular shaped) liner gasket that surrounds the film casette viewing window on the inside of the camera back ? Also does this source sell the black adhesive?

<I>Does anyone know of a quick source for the replacement foam (ractangular shaped) liner gasket that surrounds the film casette viewing window on the inside of the camera back ?</I><P>
Call or write your Leica importer. It will probably be free. It has the adhesive on it already; just clean the old one off, peel off the backing and stick it on.

get a Leica R4 from my grandpa after he is dieing!
Looking for tutorial for this camera!

Back