DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Ikon ZM lenses

Meter is nothing complicated, it is difficult to go wrong with it. Why don't you trust Voigtlander meter ?
The thing which could go wrong is the technique of using the meter. The angle of view of the meter is quite wide, I should think about 70-90 degree. You get wrong readings if you are too far from the subject and so I always take the reading by placing the meter within 10 cm from the subject.
I tested the meter with my Sony DSC717, Contax AX, RX, Minolta flash meter V. They are all consistant with each other.
Can you name me a meter which is inaccurate ?

The acceptance angle of the Voigtländer VCII meter is twenty-seven degrees (diagonally).

Has anyone heard of/ had any experience with the new ZM 85mm lens? I understand its one of the Zeiss (not Cosina) manufactured ones, hence its exorbitant price tag (more than both the Leica 90/2 Apo Asph and 75/2 Apo Asph!). Wondered whether anyone knows whether it can truly justify this price premium over the apparently very good Leica glass. Just curious because I'm in the market for a longer length lens shortly...

James

Go for it. Its performance in the MTF is groundbreaking. Although many people do not trust the MTP, it is certainly worthwhile looking at it before you pay for the pricy premium, but ZM85 2 will worth every penny you pay.

I paid USD3600 for one of my Zeiss 85 1.2, it is certainly one lens I have to keep.

Since I already have 85 1.2 and Leica M90 2 ASPH, I am not going for this particular one.

Joseph: do you have experience with canon 85/1.2 L, when compared with zeiss/contax 85/1.2?

also, do you have view on the new c sonnar 50, when compared with 50 planar?

those cosina zeiss, especially the 50mm, 25mm are really nice (the 35 and 28 are less so) the German made ZM are a bit too expensive.

interesting to know what will be performance of the coming C 21 mm and 18mm...

100159.jpg

Well, I do not have direct experience with the Canon 85/1.2 L lens. I have seen many prints from this lens in a Canon 1Ds1 but I have never seen it with colour film. It is certainly a lens I am eager to try.

C Sonnar 50 1.4 is the lens of choice if you use a lot of 1.4, otherwise go for the ZM Planar 50 f2. The f2 of ZM 50 f2 is better than the f2 of C Sonnar, so are the other f. nos.

ZM 35 f2 is a bit embarrassing at f2, but from f2.4 onwards, it has a breathtaking performance. I really like this lens. This lens performs really well at small apertures. On the other hand, ZF 35 f2 has a good f2, but do less well in small apertures.

I should believe C21 and 18 will be good. In fact, the lens ZM 21 f4 will be better than ZM 21 f2.8. Zeiss knew she could compete with Leica at the wide angles, this is why she is making so many of them at the moment. I am really surprised at Leica when she announced the Tri-elmar 16-18-21. She should have made some primes instead. It is over for Leica as far as wide angles is concerned.

I only have the Leica M35 2 ASPH but not the older ones. Both ZM35 2 and Leica M35 2 ASPH are very good.

At f2, Sum M35 2 ASPH is contrasty and sharp. It is a good low light lens. I would not use ZM35 f2 at f2 for its poor performance. It produces poor chromatic aberrations.

ZM 35 f2 quickly brightens up as soon as the aperture stops down 1/3 from f2. This lens is a joy to use at every other f-stops with the only exception at f2. I would believe the best f stop for this lens is f4, although I have not test this formally. I would believe the colour rendition of this lens is slightly better than Leica M35 2 ASPH. I would also believe with the exception of f2, it is not possible to find another lens in the market which can beat the ZM35.

I still prefer using Leica M35 2 ASPH in black and white.

Back