DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Ikon ZM lenses

Hi Joseph,
How would you rate the OoF rendition compared to the 'cron 35/2 asph?
Best,
LCT

Well, I suppose you mean the out of focus rendition.

The 'cron is lagging behind the Biogon. It is generally true when you compare Zeiss and Leica lenses, Zeiss leads Leica in bokeh. The bokeh of Zeiss is most of the time more pleasing. In this case, ZM 35 2 is no exception.

The 'cron suffers more from astigmatism than the biogon, hence a less pleasing bokeh.

Joseph, and others,

I'm currently without my beloved 35/2 Summicron (Type IV) since it got stolen. I'm having great difficulty finding another at the moment, and I don't particularly like the 35/2 Aspheric (I find the transition from Focus to OOF too sharp).

I was therefore wondering about the Zeiss ZM 35/2. I note that Erwin Puts says that at f2 it's not as good as the Leica aspheric, but on a level with the Type IV summicron. Would you agree with this? Your comments about the ZM 35/2 being 'embarrasing at f2' worried me a bit! Or was this just in comparison to the Leica Aspheric?

Any advice appreciated on this one! I didn't know whether to wait an indeterminate amount of time til a Type IV summicron comes up, or whether I'm going to be happy with a ZM...

Cheers,
James

Although ZM35 2 is poor at f2.0, if you close the the aperture 1/3,ie f2.3, it becomes really good. ZM35 2 is a lens that you could use at all apertures except f2.0. I find ZM35 2 to be better than Leica 35 2 ASPH at f 2.8 and f4, while leica is better at f2.0

Hi Leica User,

I have experience with the Canon 85mm f1.2 L albeit in FD mount and a Contax West German 85mm f1.4 AE lens. Sadly I can't vouch for the Contax 85mm f1.2.

In my experience the Canon 85mm f1.2 L was a huge disappointment-soft and flary at full aperture and a modest to good performance at about f8.This flies in the face of virually every other posting and review I've ever read. Maybe I was expecting too much but this experience was repeated with a second s&le. I have to speak as I find.

Bear in mind that the same design was used on the EF version until recently, when Canon released a MkII version.

In total contrast,the Contax Carl Zeiss optic was simply wonderful; brilliant full-aperture performance which only improved slightly until f8 when sharpness and contrast were exceptional.

Another one to check out would be a Pentax FA 85mm f1.4, this was on a par with the Contax Carl Zeiss optic, and way ahead of the Canon in my experience.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Sadly I can't vouch for the Contax 85mm f1.2.>

Peter:

Is this what you meant to say. It seems to contradict support statements.

Others have written highly about the Zeiss lens quality and one poster showed several test shots that revealed severe color fringing with the Cannon and not with the Zeiss lens.

Regards:

Gilbert

Sorry but you misunderstood me Gilbert. I couldn't vouch for the Contax Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.2 as I'd never used it. No doubt though it would be better than my experience with the Canon equivalent.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Joseph,

I'm interested in how the ZM35/2 compares with the NON asph summicron at f2. Erwin Putts reckons it's at least the equal of the type IV at this aperture, but has less field distortion...

Cheers,

James

Hello James,

I am sorry that I have no experience at all with the other Summicrons of the earlier generation.

Give ZM 35 a try. It is breathtakingly good. It is unbeatable if you like to use colour film. The colours jump at you. In general, I prefer the colour of Zeiss rather than Leica. ZM 35 2 is one of the best of all the Zeiss lenses I used. I have been using more than 30 Zeiss lenses including medium format ones.

Back