DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which lens should i buy

G

please help me!

i own a m6 ttl 0,72 - summi 50 und summi 90.

now i want to buy a wildangle lens!

which one should i buy?

a 24mm or the 28mm ??

buj

I have the 35 and 50 'crons and am thinking of going for the 24. The 28 seems a little too close to the 35. Go to the shop and try them.

>or a 21 mm... I have a 21 mm f 2.8 Leica M ASPH newest, mint for >sale at $1630. USD overnight delivery, Fed Ex included...if that >by chance interests you...Steve

have the 24mm and it is an exceptional lens. I think if you are deciding between a 28 & 24, you would be well advised to go for the 24 for the extra coverage.

It depends on what you like to photograph. For architecture, something a bit wider like a 24mm or even a 21mm is superb. Also is super for landscapes.

I have a 21mm and it is simply amazing.

35mm is border wide and even with the 28mm you might be frustrated to not be able to get the foreground object you want in with the fleeting landscape in the background. For buildings, forget about it, 28mm is just not wide enough. I'd think about a 21mm or a 24mm.

What you could do is buy the viewfinder for 21/24/28 and take it along with you to have an exact idea of what each focal length takes in and then decide.

Dear Jürgen,

though you just have finshed the discussion, since you have settled for 24mm-lens, please let me tell you my experience with lenses. I have got following wide angle lenses for my Leica M6: 35mm, 28mm, 21mm and 15mm. The lens that I use most frequently is the 35mm lens. On the other hand I would not do now without any of mine.

Hello everyone,

I am new to both Leica and this forum. I have been using both the Contax N1 (24-85, 70-300)and G2 (28, 45, 90) for awhile, and on Christmas day my wife gave me a little present, a Leica M7 body!!! She said that it was so expensive that she couldn't afford any lens to go with it, and I feel so guilty for having her buy me this expensive gadget.

Since Boxing Day I have been contemplating which lens (or combination of lenses) I should get to accommodate the lonely M7 which is now sitting underneath my bed. As I love shooting portraits the 90 Summicron is a natural fit. Apart from this, I have been struggling with the following alternatives:

1. 28 Summicron + 50 Summicron. This combination is a bit similar to my current G2 setup, but I do find the faster lenses appealing. But then the drawback is the price and also the inconvenience with changing lenses all the time. Finally, my reservation on this package is whether Leica would upgradethe current 50mm lenses as they are really old designs.

2. Tri-Elmar + 35 Summicron or Summilux. This seems like the best of both worlds: a high speed wide-angle plus a versatile "zoom". Drawback again would be price. The quality of the 35 Summilux is very tempting but it is unlikely that I can afford it. I am also a bit concerned about the speed of the Tri-Elmas as I take quite a lot of pictures indoors with my 2-month old daughter. I am getting excellent results with the N1 with TLA 360 flash but would like to take more black and white pictures without using flash.

3. 35 Summilux. In fact it is so legendary that I might just get the 35 Summilux to go with the 90, and save some money for future purchases.

Any of your comments are highly appreciated. And by the way, the G2 package was borrowed from a friend who rarely uses it, and now it is returned to its original owner, so I won't be able to use that simultaneously with the M7. Thanks.

Ken

Dear Ken,

As you suggested start with a 90mm lens then add the 35mm Summicron. The two will cover most situations encompassed by Leica range-finder photography.

Sincerely,

Justin

Since you don't have any money, you could just drill a hole in the cap and spend some time doing Leica pinhole photographs.

Back