DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Experience with the MP

Bob,

You seem to regret that the black finish of your camera is wearing out. = I understand fully your feelings as I would feel exatly the same. But = why didn't you buy the silver chrome finish which is much harder and = almost scratch resistant ? I intend to buy a M7 in a few week, and I = have decided to take the silver chrome finish for that reason.

Jean-Claude

> You seem to regret that the black finish of your camera is wearing out. = I understand fully your feelings as I would feel exatly the same. But = why didn't you buy the silver chrome finish which is much harder and = almost scratch resistant ? I intend to buy a M7 in a few week, and I = have decided to take the silver chrome finish for that reason.<<<<<<<

A very interesting situation as I can't imagine why one wouldn't consider black bodies at anytime with the black chrome finish, It wears like carbon, is easy to clean , as hard as a battle tank exterior and makes you look like a pro-photographer where that means something to some people.

I don't believe I've ever had anything but black since black bodies became available as they're unobtrusive, you don't advertise being a photographer with the "pretty silver bauble" hanging around your neck.

The black paint wears off no matter how careful one is. And many use steel wool to kind of scuff-up the surface to help make the camera look like you are a pro using the camera on heavy duty assignments.

I mean look at some of the cameras used by pro shooters today. Their cameras look like solid well used tools and gives a kind of aura to them that he's an important shooter.

The silver chromes or whatever the finish is almost a give away you are an amateur and the bright flashy thing give you way when you move the camera and you give away your subtly of the "quiet unobtrusive photographer."

Go black it'll save you a considerable amount of blood, sweat and tears about the "fancy finish whatever type other than black being scratched, worn off or wose it has a slight ding some place when you banged the three of them hanging of your neck. ;-).]

Jean-Claude,

Ted Grant made some good points. The wear I have on my MP is very minor and it's around the rewind knob. I know the more I use it the more it will wear. Ted's point about being unobtrusive is the real reason I like black.

Leica should have offered the MP in black chrome rather than black paint. The black chrome does wear better. Still I never considered buying the chrome because it just sticks out. It looks good, I'll grant you that, but it does stand out. Against dark clothing the camera disappears. I like that, I'd rather blend into the back ground as much as possible.

My neighbor's a cop. We were having a conversation about guns. He said he will never carry a stainless steel handgun and doesn't understand why any police officer does. The reason: they stick out in the holster and when drawn, and especially at night.

Bob and Ted,

I agree with both of you that the black version is nice looking.
I agree with both of you that the black version is unobtrusive.
I like the black version too.

I have noticed that a certain number of Leica fans also like the black version because it “makes you look like a pro-photographerâ€, as Ted says. Personally, I am totally unmoved by that argument as I do not want to look like a pro (or not to look like a pro). I really do not care what I look like. I just wish to own a camera in line with my own values. I am happy that the paint of my motorbike does not wear off. I am happy that the paint of my car does not wear off. I just do not see why I will buy a camera whose paint “wears off no matter how careful one isâ€.

However, I understand that others people may have a different opinion, as colors and tastes are a very personal matter.

Just a word to finish. I own a 28 years old Nikon, silver chrome. I looked at it yesterday night. It has no scratches at all, just a few minors dents on some sharp edges if you look very closely. Overall, it still is nice looking. Which tend to prove that chrome is a very hard surface, well suited to make a long lasting camera finish. I am not an expert in metallurgy, but I do not think that black chrome exists. Chrome is a metal whose original color is more or less silver like, and I never heard of a dyed metal. I have the feeling that black chrome is in fact black paint, which explains why it is wearing off so easily.

Finally, the choice is a simple one: no obtrusion or no scratches, cheese or sweets.

Best regards, and make nice pictures.

Jean-Claude

I'm neither a expert, but one thing is a chromed metal, chemical process, an other thing is to paint, paint is superficially, except if black is anodized in a chemical process.

Best regards, saludos from Barcelona Luis

Jeane-Claude, The "chrome" as in "black chrome" is indeed chrome. However, having owned Leicas of both finishes, I can attest that the black chrome versions of my SL2 and R3 were never has hard wearing as the silver of my M4, R6, or M6. And I do "care" for my Leicas. When it comes to selling, and we do sell, otherwise I'd have a string of Leicas back to a 111A, a Leica will fetch a higher price if it is in good shape compared to the same model in poorer shape. Just like your car and motorcycle would. It's a "No brainer" I always buy silver if It's an option.
Colin

Back