CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

D70 locks out with bCHKb displayed

K

kiwiwebs

Hi I'm new here and joined to get an answer to a feature of D70 which puzzles and frustrates me. My camera will fail to release the shutter and displays a blinking 'CHK' message in the LCD control panel (in the no. of exposures position) with no apparent reason - i.e. there's power in battery, there's space on card. Turning the camera off, then back on seems to solve, but this is v. annoying when you're following action.
Any suggestions please?

-->My camera will fail to release the shutter and displays a blinking 'CHK' message in the LCD control panel (in the no. of exposures position) with no apparent reason <--

Jon, According to the user manual, the CHK error occurs when the camera can't access the card, can't create a new folder or the card isn't formatted for the D70. A reformat of the card, from within the camera *might* solve the problem. If you have another memory card, perhaps you should try it?

I had a similar problem with the CHK error, but in my case it was because (apparently) there were some bent pins in the memory card slot. :eek:( In my case, the camera wouldn't even allow me to use the card at all. Cycling the camera on/off cleared the error, but as soon as I attempted to take a photo, the error returned. My camera required repair by Nikon.

I hope you don't have the same issue I had. Maybe you can get a good flashlight and look in the card slot and see if you can see any bent pins?

Please let us know what solves the issue for you.

grasshopper

K

kiwiwebs

> Many thanks Grasshopper - why didn't I think of looking in the manual? - dur. Looks like it's CHR, not CHK - wonder what that stands for? Anyway, no sign of bent pins, so I guess it's over to Nikon - it happens too often for me to get over it. I'll let you know. Thanks again. Jon