DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax Zeiss 645 lenses vs Zeiss N lenses on the Contax N1

G

I was wondering if anyone has had experience using 645 lenses on the N1 and if so what are your opinions and observations? I ordered the nam-1 adapter and am waiting for it to arrive, just wondering what to expect and watch out for. I am particularly interested in comparisons of 645 lenses to N1 in simular focal lengths such as the 645 210mm and the 70 - 200 N or 70 - 300.
Thanks, Roger

I have the 645 with the 80f2 and the 55 . I use them both on the N1 for weddings portraits. Im going to purchase the 24-85 ASAP.
So far results have been very good. I have shot ,2 weddings using the 645 lenses on the N1. The results have been perfect. It blows me away how sharp everything is.
My only complaint is that when you use the 645 lenses on the N1 , it drains batteries like crazy. I suppose I could get the vertical grip that holds 4 AA bateries, and that might help a little . I just love Zeiss lenses my work is sharper than other wedding photographers shooting with cannon , and nikons. It aslo changes the focal lenghts. The 80's like a 105 and the 55 turns into a normal lens on the N1 but that hasn't been a problem for me . I just wish that they would come out with a 70- 200 2.8 ;)~

>=20 >=20 >=20 > I have all the lenses on 645 and used them all on N1 or N digital and the= y are > all working very good except that sometimes the Nam-1 when is not fitted = well > ( I meant to property aligned with all the contacts of the camera mount )= you > may lost the aparture reading. Quality is excellent for N mount to use 6= 45 > lens. 210mm is pretty good, to me, it is better than the 70-300, I don=B9t = have > the 70-200 so I cannot comment. >=20 > Brgds/Kaisern >=20 >=20

Has anyone used the combination as following:

645 Lens + 645 1.4 TC + NAM-1 + N1

How is the performance, such as AF speed and especially the image quanlity?

Thanks, Frank

I would be also interested in the comparison of the 80/2.0 of the Contax 645 mounted on a N1 via the NAM-adapter vs. the N85/1.4 directly on the N1.

Which combinations gives you better results in real life (not looking at MTF's) and how big is the difference. Any other downsides while using the NAM adapter alternative?

Thanks

Generally, when I use the C645 lens on the N1, the color saturation is richer. You can see it right away on chrome film. Comparing the 80mm f/2.0 with the N4-85mm, the distortion is almost absent when I shoot table top.

The focus length does not change when you attach the C645 lenses on the N body. 80mm is 80mm (80mm in 645 is euivalent to 50mm in 135 format).

I'm wondering about buying a 140mm 645 Sonnar to use with my N1. I've read Casey's comment that 645 lenses when attached to the N1 spend battery faster. I went today to the Ginza showroom(I live close to Tokyo at the moment) and asked there about this possibility. The answer I've got is that battery consumption wouldn't be different when using 645 lenses with the N1. Can anyone comment about this ?

Cristiano:
people always complain about n1 power. I want to add that it was the autofocus that drain batteries. when i take photo using n1, i think 50% time i use manual forcus, and i don't have a problem at all with the power consumption for n1.
my guess for using the 645 lenses, because of the weight, it will drain power like hell, however, my guess is if you don't rely on AF, the power consumption will be OK

Ben

I would not let the battery consumption to be a decison maker on the 140mm/N1 combination. The benefit of the quality and having f/2.8 on 140mm AF lens out-weight any issues, IMO.

What else is the options?

Ben is right about the power consumption on the AF.

Albert and Ben, many thanks for the replies. I tested the 645 140mm Sonnar with the N1, and it's a superb coupling. I asked at the showroom if were there plans for a 135mm for the N system, and what I got was that, there were no plans in the next 6 months. Should I wait for the release of a 135 mm N1 lens or just go with the 645 140mm Sonnar ? Would the price of N system 135 mm lens be much different when compared to a 645 140mm Sonnar + a NAM adapter ?
Well, there's always the advantage that the 140mm Sonnar can be used in 2 systems.

Back