DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax FX1-screen

G

I got a FX-1 yesterday for my N1 but found that hard to install it. It's hard to position the central focus point to the middle of the split image circle on the focus screen. The position of screen holder is not fixed... can shift a little bit to the right / left... Whenever I place the FX-1 to the right place, it shifts right when I press the shutter a few times...

Seems I have to take my N1 body back to the distributor here... I just bought my N1 for 9 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell! I to have just ordered a FX-1 for my N1, heres hoping the same thing doesn't apply. I think I will get my dealer to fix it,then the ball is in his court fi the allignment isn't correct. I will post again as soon as it has been fitted, and I have had the chance to use it. By the way is there anyone else out there that is having the same problem, please let us know.

I bought an FX-1 about a week ago and found that the autofocus doesn't exactly correspond to the split screen. The split screen almost always show the focus target to be a little further. I've tried reinstalling the FX-1 but the same problem persist. Does anyone have the same problem or know whether it is a problem with the autofocus calibration or the split screen?

Tay
Did you Program the auto function for the screen? Dirk mentions not to forget this in his posting of tne "N1/NX in german press". I do not own the N1 but am considering buying and am troubled by your experience.

Hi Kevin, the program function is only for the metering. I had my N1 calibrated twice and on both times while the focus matched the split screen the focus was out. The original calibration seemed much better but the focusing didn't match the split screen. My local distributor has just changed my whole set but using the same FX-1 as before I find that again the focus does not march the split screen. Does anyone know whether the problem could be with the screen and not the calibration?

Tay,

there are only three possibilities. Either the focussing screen is not properly adjusted in the body, or the Af is not properly adjusted, or both at the same time.

For all 3 cases, Contax can fix this. But is is not normal that you see a different focus point between FX-1 and AF. If it stays like after getting it back from Contax, then they did their job not properly. IT HAS TO MATCH!

Dirk

Thanks Dirk. Is it possible that it is just the screen that is defective. My local agent thinks that it is not likely but it only seems logical given that a match on the split screen on two of the calibrations still produced out of focus pictures.

I have tried the FX-1 screen and noticed that the centre focus marks are not dead in the centre fo the split image circle, being slightly to the right as you look through the viewfinder. I have noticed that soemtimes the AF and the split image agree, sometimes the AF and image don't agree and I then correct manually a very, very small amount (so minute a movement that I wonder if it makes any difference at all to the image that is produced, and maybe only moved the split image), and sometimes I correct and when I press the focus button again it doesn't move focus and the focus confirmation lights up with no refocussing.

I suspect that the calibration is so sensitive that a hairsbreadth difference in the AF and split image would not be noticeable on the film. Every image I have taken with the N1 using the original screen was in focus, so I would suggest that anyone with this problem that is not getting out of focus pictures might want to put the old screen back in, and then the misalignment of the split image will not be annoying them. I think the AF is correct, and the split image is not in most cases.

Simon

Back