DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax flash

[Mike,

That's interesting and you're right - I stand corrected.

I've used the TLA200 and it is like you described with the TTL switch - I was thinking of the TLA20.

I wonder if that means my CS140 is also TTL? I'll go and test it again tonight. I'm quite sure the flash has no auto mode. Just for reference, this is what the flash looks like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2936233075&category=43442&rd=1

OT: On my Rollei XF35 (rangefinder) the flash system is very interesting. It only has a centre hot-shoe contact. But you dial in the guide number of any flash; as you focus, the camera knows the distance to the subject (because its a rangefinder), it then sets the aperture to an appropriate f-stop to compensate for the light fall-off across the distance (ie bigger aperture for further subjects). Wonderfully exposed photos everytime. I think the new Nik*n and Can*n also have this function as the lens transmits the distance info to the camera, then to the flash.

Nicolas

]

Hi!

I have an NX, and I don't know, whether the older flashes (e.g. TLA 30) will work with this camera or not. So will a TLA 30 work with the NX? This question is important to me, because the TLA 30 is a lot cheaper than e.g. the TLA 360.

Thanks,
Sándor

Thanks a lot Ron! So I think that this is normal. But then, which of the readings should I trust in? I am sure you have more experience than me with this... Thanks again. Thepotro7

> Since my flash is non-TTL, I want to put a mask to tone down the guide> number. On my Metz 40Mz3i, there is a supplied smoke colored> filter(Neutral Density - I assume) provided >> My question: What can I use as an ND filter on my flash. It should be> color neutral and not melt (&cheap).

Surely a better and easier way to do this would be to just use the auto setting [ and I'm assuming the Metz has this ] and then just set the flash to a different aperture setting to the one you are actually using on the camera?? Steve

>>I wonder if that means my CS140 is also TTL? I'll go and test it again tonight. I'm quite sure the flash has no auto mode.<<

Nicolas, let us know the result of your test. Prior to this discussion, I was under the impression the CS-140 was TTL capable. But, it sounds like without the "lower left" contact that wouldn't be possible.

Also, I believe that model has an "upper left" contact too. Maybe a different arrangement that is unique to the newer Yashica AF bodies, for which that flash was intended.

Dave

>>The lower right contact is only for the flash-indicator in the viewfinder (green flash occurs when flash is ready). TTL is possible only with flashes, which have three contacts.<<

As I look into this, I think this may not be correct. I've seen references in the past related to Yashica TTL capable flashes that have center + lower right contacts.

In fact, someone is currently selling an off-brand Y/C dedicated flash module with the 2-pin configuration. Here is his/her description of the functions supported by this module:

"THIS MODULE OFFERS MANUAL, AUTO, 3 LEVELS OF TTL AND 1/16 FILL FLASH.... NOTE... THIS IS FOR THE MANUAL FOCUS YASHICAS, IT HAS NO AUTO FOCUS INFRARED ASSIST. IT HAS 2 PINS TO CONNECT WITH THE HOT SHOE"

It would seem center + lower right configuration does allow TTL.

Dave

[Hi Steve,

The question was not related to my Metz. I use a Yashica CS140 because its small, the Metz weighs more than the average Point & Shoot, must be 400g with batteries in it.

Does anyone know of a cheap and easy ND filter for flash?

Nicolas]

[Hi Dave,

Tested the CS140 and it is NOT TTL.

I suspect that the number of contacts is only an indication that a flash is TTL. And TTL capability is determined by the design of the flash itself. Thinking about it, most flashes just charge up the capacitor and discharge. It must take some extra hardware to allow the flash to cut-off part-way through the output

regards, Nicolas ]

> [Hi Steve,> The question was not related to my Metz. I use a Yashica CS140 because> its small, the Metz weighs more than the average Point & Shoot, must > be 400g with batteries in it.> > Does anyone know of a cheap and easy ND filter for flash?

Oh okay , but I think the same would apply to the Yashica flash too . I'm not familiar with that model , but I'd be a bit surprised if it doesnt have an "auto" setting as well . The only ND filters I've come across have come with a aparticular model at the outset . Perhaps you could try using a Cokin ND filter[quite cheap] , although you might have to cut it down to size or something . Just a thought! Steve

>

Yes. Just cover part of the output face of the flash with something opaque. Cover 50% = 1 stop. Cover 75% = 2 stops.

Back