CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

db 20 experience

geoffrey

Are there others out there with the db 20, with the 6008AF? Would like to share experiences. Seems the meter/back interface is a bit challenging and I'm wondering if others have had similar experiences.

The overall impression is quite positive - not necessarily the quickest working arrangement, but the files are quite nice and the color very much on.

Anyone else?

Geoff

pascal

Gold CI-Patron
Hi Geoff, I have acquired one of the last remaining stock DB20p solutions from Franke & Heidecke in August last year. It is my first true digital system (leaving apart the Leica compact digital cameras I have). Am quite happy with it though there is a learning curve.
I am sometimes having difficulty with accurate focusing. It seems a tad more challenging than with a film back.
What do you mean exactly with the metering/back issue you are mentioning?
Pascal

geoffrey

Yes, it does have a learning curve. The color rendition is quite nice, but I've been busy figuring out batteries! Just sent for the new 1500 mah version (3x the older ones) and that should put the 6008 into happiness.

Eric Hiss here in the US has the most experience; he has found using C1 3.7 db software gives very nice renditions. Learning the Phase software has been a bit of a challenge for me - but some experience from the Leica M8 does help.

You are right about focus critical. Very much so. And there may be some back focusing as well.... I think the screen is fresnel as the issue of focus is just so critical: with split prism focus screen, the focus point is not exactly on the glass, but up a bit. These digital backs just don't forgive that much.

Makes one understand the AF componentry.

Best,
Geoff

pascal

Gold CI-Patron
Geoff, which lens are you using the 6008 AF and DB20p combo with? I am using it with the standard AF-Schneider 80/2.8 PQS but given the 1.6 crop factor and the subsequent loss of wide coverage, I was thinking of getting a wide-angle lens.

In terms of software, I am using it with Phase One Capture One DB version 3.7.9, which gives me good results on top of a nice interface. I tried out the new version 4 briefly, but was not thrilled at all with its interface. Anyone knows if there would be a difference in output quality?

geoffrey

lens

with film, the 60 mm Curtagon is the standard lens for me. Its wonderful - and has a great texture to its renderings. With the db, the 40 mm takes its place, and while not quite as nice, is a pretty fine lens. Its small too, so that's good.

If you are happy with the 80, the 60 or the new 50 should be fine. THe 50 is AF. The 60 is not easy to find, but they are around. Just a wonderful lens.

pascal

Gold CI-Patron
Thanks for this; I would like to keep it with AF lenses, so the 50mm would be the obvious choice. I wish the AF Flektogon 35mm would be available soon. There has been quite some delay with this lens but I was told that it would be available in Fall this year. Would you think the 50mm or the 35mm is the better way to go with the DB20p?

geoffrey

lens for dp20 setup

If you are happy with the 80 mm on film, the 50 is the way to go.

Hard to comment on the 35 - its not out yet, and while I'm sure it will be great, its likely to be quite pricey. It may also be rather large, and a specialized lens. Hard to say without seeing one.

If its for occaisional use, consider the 40 mm, and maybe instead of going to a 35 AF, I'd consider the Hy6 platform and wider back. Might be a better way to spend the money.

pascal

Gold CI-Patron
Hi Eric,

you are right in saying that DB20p backs (rebadged PhaseOne P20) are hard to come by. Your best bet may be to be on the lookout on a well-known auction site. I have seen a couple of DB20p sets in the past months. However, most will be sold only together with the camera body and sometimes with lens. Also, I have read reports that early versions of the 6008 AF could have some issues with the back, which may require an adjustment.