DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

From Italy!

Nicola70

Hallo everyone! :)
I'm an italian passionate photographer, 42 in age, and shooting since I was 13.
Mostly industrial, architecture, and street.
At the moment I'm shooting both digital and analogue, but the latter is increasing as I feel more pleasantness when I use film, and it's also a "back to the origin" because I started with it. I'm also developing B&W film by myself.
At the moment I own a Yashica FX-3 Super2000 with Planar 50 f/1.7, and a couple of small cameras (Minox 35 GT and Rollei 35 S).
I'm considering to buy a Contax body (like RTSII or so) in order to use it as main equipment, and use the FX-3 as a backup. So I guess I'll read a lot in this forum, in order to clarify my ideas. :)
Ciao!

hello Nicola!
I read your post and I suggest you to buy a contax G2.
tha building quality is absolutely excellent! the body is in titanium.
As far as I know, it is perhaps the only rangefinder autofocus camera.
I have the G2 with 28, 45 and 90 lenses. It is a pleasure to handle them.
Greetings from Rome
nb: è ottima per la "street" perchè piccola e silenziosa.
N.

Hello, Nicola, Welcome to the forum. Buy a Contax film camera - DON'T - I acquired the Contax 167MT 5-6 years back. What a beauty. That led me to getting the Contax AX. And that has led me to just buying the Contax N1, together with the 70-300 lens. They are addictive.:)
The advice re the Contax G1/2 is also very good. There was an article in a UK photo magazine in the 1990s, where the Contax G2 was compared against a Leica M6. If money had been no object, then the reviewer would have bought the Leica, but he gave the Contax very good marks and sai it was just as good as the Leica.
Best of luck in your search.

I wouldn't recommend an RTS 3

I wouldn't recommend an RTS 3 as the reliability of the second hand ones seems to be poor. RTS II is better but less functionality. Perhaps a 167 it would give you spot metering, and a motor drive.

Back