DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CONTAX CY lenses on Canon EOS Bodies

Thanks DJ, hi-jack my ND sale why don't you ; -)

I'm definitely keeping my other ND and N1. Those N lenses are just to spectacular.

I just have to lean down a bit to fund the NEW LEICA R9, A PASSEL OF ROM LENSES (including the 28-90), and the LEICA DIGITAL MODULE that I ordered today!!!!! Camera and zoom with be here Weds., the Module in 3 weeks.

Contact Irakly, He's handling it all.

Irakly@shanidze.com

Albert, the lens has the metal shade and is virtually unused.

Paul, the ND for sale works fine. I never used that camera on RAW until Adobe added it to ACR. Only then did I discover the thin row of dead pixels ... which never showed using Tiff and J-Peg. The ND is the best J-peg camera I've ever used because of it's dynamic range. Most of the images I've ever posted from that camera were shot on j-peg. When you use that setting the LCD review works and the camera's small buffer is not an issue. For important stuff I knew I'd want to enlarge bigger I shifted to Tiff.
RAW works mind you, it's just got a single row of dead pixels about a third of the height high on landscape mode.

For those who were interested in the use of the new Leica 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH zoom on the 1DsMKII:

It doesn't work. The rear element protrudes into the Canon and doesn't allow free travel of the mirror.

However, the lens does work on a 20D !!! I guess because of the smaller mirror. Not that anyone would want to spend more than twice as much on a lens as the camera costs.

Although I'm not much of a zoom lover, I will be keeping it to use on a Leica R9 with the Digital module because a general use zoom lens that produces excellent images is always nice for vacations and even shooting some wedding photos ... just like the N 24-85.

374156.jpg

Oh, BTW, I finally snagged a mint Contax 85/1.2, 60 Year. The owner currently uses it on a Canon 1DsMKII which it just barely fits ... but it does work. I'll be getting it today and will report back on how it works with the Canon.

I had that lens once before and have some shots made on film to compare to how it renders images on a high meg digital Camera. Here's one from my previous 85/1.2 made on color neg film ...

374159.jpg

What you can't see with a web upload is the incredible detail in the veil. Zeiss ROCKS !!!!

Here's a bit tighter crop to see if it'll show up here ...

374162.jpg

Marc,

Thanks for taking the time to reply about the Leica 28-90mm, It sounds like it would require modification to fit. I know that the 21-35mm has a removable rear lens shroud, it is essentially a plastic peice that protrudes out of the back of the lens. Evidently, three small screws hold it on.

I do not have that lens either, this came from a good source on FM.

Andy

Not the same. This lens has a metal encased rear element that juts into the camera to far.

The good news is that the Zeiss 85/1.2 arrived and it snaps right onto the Canon 1DsMKII. Next test is to see if it still auto aperture meters on a RX.

Dang, too bad - I was holding the 28-90 as a future possibility. OTOH, I just saved a whole wad of money
happy.gif

Back