DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Digital images from Zeiss lenses

G

I would like to hear from anyone who is scannng negs/slides taken with Zeiss 35 mm glass. Currently I'm shooting with a Fuji G670III which being a large negative makes very nice prints up to 11x17 inches and beyond if I ever spring for larger paper. The down side is the 90mm fixed lens on the Fuji. I'm considering either going to a digital camera or staying with film for now and am checking out the Contax line. My concern is can I get a high quality print scanning 35mm negs and printing up to a max of 13x19 inches? Anyone on the board have some experience (not theory please) to share?

Pete,

Straight scans from a 35mm slide or neg. will never approach the detail and tonal qualities of a scanned 6X7 format like your Fuji will produce.

Yet, you must keep in mind that the scanner has to be a big one to accept a 6X7 format, and that a 35mm system offers more versatile
selections and applications.

However, there are a number of interpolation programs designed to up-size smaller digital files either from scans or straight from a digital camera. "Genuine Fractals" is one I've used to great success. These programs easily allow full image areas available on a 13"X19" ink jet sheet from a 35mm image.
Best results come from lower ISO slide films
that need not be cropped to much... you know, just like with regular analog processing.

Hi Guys.

Film scanning is as digital as I plan to get for the next few years. I scan all my negs on a Nikon IV, 2900 dpi. and print up to Super A3 on an Epson 1290.

While not leading edge, I was and still am pleasantly surprised with the output. I have used Contax for over 20 years, and most of my negs are from Zeiss glass.

I also use a Contax 645, the results from conventional film/print are FAR superior to my digitally produced 35mm, even at 10x8.

My advice is to pick up a cheep Yashica T and scan the results. If they do not come up to your requirements then you won't have wasted too much money.

Hi Guys.

Film scanning is as digital as I plan to get for the next few years. I scan all my negs on a Nikon IV, 2900 dpi. and print up to Super A3 on an Epson 1290.

While not leading edge, I was and still am pleasantly surprised with the output. I have used Contax for over 20 years, and most of my negs are from Zeiss glass.

I also use a Contax 645, the results from conventional film/print are FAR superior to my digitally produced 35mm, even at 10x8.

My advice is to pick up a cheap used Yashica T and scan the results. If they do not come up to your requirements then you won't have wasted too much money.

Back