CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Digital Infrared

zuikoholic

Hi Joaquin,

I've tried it, can't remember the shutter speeds needed exactly, I think it was about 1 sec @ f/2. The G1's much, much better for IR - I bought one after I already had a G2 just for the IR. Shutter speeds are about 1/15 @ f/2 so it can be hand-held if you're steady (but I usually use a tripod). I have found that the G1 can also take UV pictures - haven't tried this with the G2. Hope this helps.

quinits

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. Did you use the HOYA R72 infrared filter for the G2? What were the results of your photos from the G2? Am planning to get one but i read somewhere that it can be quite difficult for the G2.

zuikoholic

Hi Joaquin,

Yes, I use the HOYA R72 infrared filter. Besides the much longer exposure times needed by the G2 as compared to the G1, there was also a problem of a 'central blindness' with the G2 - by this I mean that the image is worse/noisier in the centre of the picture than at the edges. The G1 does not seem to have this problem.

I think that this is due to the 'hot mirror' of the G2 removing most of the IR before it hits the sensor. Apparently, the hot mirror works by diffraction, throwing the longer IR light off to the side while not affecting the shorter visible light. Hence, this could explain it working better at the centre of the image (more IR is removed), but more IR gets through at the edges. I don't think that the G1 has a hot mirror.

I've long since trashed my G2 IR shots, but I will shoot some more, and post some comparisons with the G1. It is raining now, and will be for some time (so they say), so I'm not sure when I can do them (IR photography works best on sunny days!). But in any case, I would seek out a G1 for IR photography, and there are also some Olympus digicams which are supposed to be even better for IR than the G1, can't remember which ones. Basically, I think you'll be disappointed with IR on the G2 (I know I was).

quinits

Thank you Neil for the information. Not only did I save for the cost of the filter but also saved me from the disappoinment.