DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Travel system

Thomas,

I was keen to hear of the source you referred to that compared Nikon and Leica lens. If this source is easily available could you post it on the discussion forum.

Thanks,

Jim

James,

It was on a web site and I sure wish that I could find it back. I read through hundreds of web sites for information when I was looking for the new camera a few months ago and didn't save them. I just spent about 40 minutes looking for it again and, as usual, got about 100,000 hits on google, but not the one I was looking for.

Tom

Robert/Thomas,

Thanks for looking up the information! Both sites werevery interesting. Have you by chance seen sites that compare say Canon oe Minolta or other lens to Leica? If so would you pass on the information.

I have an M6 an plan to purcahse an SLR soon and find this type of information useful.

Regards,

Jim

David,

Sorry for the late addition to the thread; I hope this opinion still is of any use to you...

About six weeks ago I returned from a trip to Italy with 2 M bodies and five lenses: 15, 21, 35, 50 and 75. One of the cameras was always loaded with color film and the other with B&W, your case will be different. When processed the 30-odd rolls, I observed that 90% of the pictures and almost 99% of the keepers were shot with the 35 and 50. Ditto my last three trips abroad. The ultra-wides and the 75 end up being security blankets.

I would go with just two lenses, 28 and 50 or 35 and 75, leaning heavily towards the first pair.

My own affordable favorites are:

Ultra-wide: Voigtländer Color-Skopar 21/4. Sharp, well corrected, super compact, excellent finder, price roughly equal to the Leica 21 finder alone.

28mm: There's only one option at less than one grand: Voigtländer Ultron Aspherical 28/1.9.

35mm: 4th version Summicron 35/2 (last pre-ASPH). Small, sharp, great bokeh, not too expensive (about $400 used). In case it's too dear, the Color-Skopar 35/2.5 classic is an almost as good substitute with fairly lower build and a stop less of aperture (it matters a lot for interiors).

50mm: No contest, the Summicron 50 in any version, preferably the newer ones. Second place, the Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.5 --heavier than the 'cron and with somewhat harsher bokeh but just as sharp and with one more stop. It also has a nice build with brass barrel that matches the black paint of the MP perfectly. Lettering scheme too.

75/90mm: Voigtländer Color-Heliar 75/2.5. Very sharp from f/4 down and with extraordinary bokeh. Very good build too. 2nd place, Canadian Elmarit 75/2.8. Generally go for around $600.

Good luck with your quest,

--Jorge.

For thirty years I have been travelling the world and on each trip refine the equipment I think necessary. My present opinion is that there is no universal travel system, because of the changing nature of travel. In Europe I cannot remember ever using a lens longer than 75mm, while here in Australia the landscape is such that a 135mm lens almost becomes standard.

Just to finish the thread ... my choice is ...

M7 (0.72) - AE and 28mm frame in vf

35/2 - main lens, will live on the camera most of the time

[ + the following 2 lenses to keep me going whilst I decide where to spend my Leica money ]

50/1.5 CV Nokton
90/3.5 CV Lanthar

I will also buy the 15/4.5 CV as I have a project for it.

Total cost is about 3600 UKP. When I decide on my second main lens, be it 50 or 90, I will probably opt for either the 50/2 or the 90/2.8. If I hardly ever use the 90, I may just keep the Lanthar and go for the Tri-Elmar for travel convenience.

Thanks to you all for your advice.

Hi Dave

I would be interested in your opinion of the 75mm Lanthar when you get a chance to use it, or anyone else's opinion of course.

Mike

Back