Dimage z1

B

Bushmaster

I've got the Dimage z1 and the other day tried to take a pic of the full moon, using the AUTO function. I couldn't get the camera to focus and when I took the pic I got too much light. The sun was down at the time but it was far from dark. What setting/functions do I use to take this type of pic ?? Thanks.

D

ddai

Brian,

For focus, you may use manual focus to set it at infinity as the autofocus might not function well due to the low contrast of your subject (the moon with twilights).

For exposure, it's quite impossible to make good combination given the condition you described here. Still you can try making two picture: one to correctly expose the moon (using spot metering and bracket the exposure by 1 stop), the other to expose the background (that's easier and you can trust the camera's metering). finally, you can combine these two pictures using photoshop (cutting the moon out from the moon picture and paste onto the background one). Of course, you need to make sure the two picutures are compose almost the same (this is not too difficult given the huge distance).

Hope it will help.

Rgds, David

peterblaise

Hi Brian,

Manual focus and manual expoaure using the sunny 16 rule - f/16 at 1/ISO - since the moon is illuminated by ... THE SUN!!!

Bracket, that is, try VASTLY different exposures, especially what you think are severe under exposure, and you may find that you finally get details in the moon's surface.

A tripod is a must, but longer exposures may blur due to the moon's movement.

SHOW US!

Peter Blaise
Minolta Photographer
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

---------------------------------------------

Here from
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

SUNNY 16 RULE
When caught without a meter, one can use the "Sunny 16 Rule" as a guide for exposure. There are two steps to the rule, as outlined below:

STEP 1: Set your shutter speed equal to your film speed.

(i.e., Shutter = Film Speed)

Ex&les: 1/60 for Velvia rated at ISO 50; 1/125 for TMax rated at ISO 100. Note that in most cases, the shutter speed will NOT EXACTLY EQUAL film speed, but will be set as close as possible to the film speed. It's simply easier to remember the rule as "Shutter = Film Speed."

STEP 2: Set your aperture equal to f/16 for sunny sky.

What if it's not sunny?
If slightly overcast, open one stop to f/11. If overcast, open two stops to f/8. If deeply overcast, open three stops to f/5.6.

How do I distinguish between slightly overcast, overcast and heavy overcast?

Examine the shadow detail. If shadows are distinct but soft around the edges, then it's slightly overcast. If shadows are not distinct, but still visible - very soft - then it's overcast. If there are no shadows at all, then it's heavy overcast.

The chart below provides a useful summary:

SUNNY 16 CHART
Aperture
Lighting Conditions
Shadow Detail

f/16
Sunny
Distinct

f/11
Slight Overcast
Soft around edges

f/8