DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Nikon 50mm 18 D

I just purchased this lens myself, it arrived today and I find that it doesn't mount onto my D100 very easily, it goes and works fine, but it's not as smooth engaging as my other lenses.

Any ideas? I checked to make sure I'm not bending the aperture tab, and it's not...

Jarrod,

I think this is common to the lens...same experience on my F100 and D100.
John

Alan,
I use the 80-400 VR which gives great results at f8-16. Now I'm sure that others will have other opinions, but it's been my experience that if you buy a 200 zoom, when you reach the end of the zoom range you always say to yourself, man I wish it just had a little more. from 80 to about 300 it kicks butt on portraits and at 400 you can get just about anything you need. (and if you can't move closer) The VR lets you shoot as slow as about 1/15 HAND HELD, WOW!!
ED glass....nuf said

AT 5.6 on mine anyway, I get some fringing of the colors toward the outsides. but there are action sets for Photoshop that help minimise that and if you watch how you compose a photo, light on dark and dark on light, you can minimise it or just shoot at f 8 and above. Build is plastic but rugged, wieght is acceptable (I used to carry 45 lb tv news cameras and 35lb vcr and 25 lbs of spare batts.,so I don't listen much to whiney film/digital photographers, when it comes to that)
Sharpness is good to very good above 5.6 best around 11.

For the money I think it's a very good buy especially if you buy used from a non-pro or take advantage of the rebates til jun 30.

Just my opinion and I'm sure orthers will say otherwise, which is fine of course, but just consider each point I made and I think you will come to the same conclusion I did, many lenses in one, with good to very good performance.

have a read http://www.naturfotograf.com/VR80_400_review.html

Any other questions let me know
b

BTW, the 80-400 is *NOT* af-s, it's af-d and the focus capability can suck, loud n slow, but if you look in the gallery here and look in the photo competition area, the last shot (guy on horse) is with the 80-400 at 192mm f6.3. It will give you an idea of how this lens looks. (notice the contrast, light on dark like I mentioned above, next to zero fringing in that shot)

Also, I can't really comment on a 200 zoom, because I've never owned one. But I gave my perspective on telephoto zooms and why. The 400 was my first zoom ever. I've always used prime lenses to get the job done. I do own one other zoom it's the 24-120VR zoom. One other might be bought this week, the 12-24 DX.

Sorry about the multi part message, but I have about 6 things going at once right now, I think that's it for the question though.

Here's another good link http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80400vr.htm

What about 50mm/1.8D focusing? Is it noisy? Does some outer elements rotate while auto-focusing? Is if fast enough?

Back