DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

90mm 20 chrome vs black

Ronnie:

I think you made an astute observation concerning your lens purchase, regardless if it becomes a factor in the lens your eventually choose. An observation I believe many were unaware of. When you finally decide, you, will have discerned the facts and made a prudent decision that you will not regret.

Best Regards:

Gilbert

Hi Ronnie, Please accept my apologies for an unfortunate snap crackle pop answer to your question regarding weight / use of chrome / black Leica lenses. During my 53 year career as a working photojournalist, weight consideration one lens to another has never been a subject of interest nor consideration.

In my case where I work 99.9% of the time with available light only, the most important aspect of a lens has always been ... "how fast is it?" Not it's weight nor how long it would last. After all it's always been considered, by my self, buying Leica was buying the best. So longevity of use, chrome or black, was of no concern as it was assumed the cameras and lenses would out live me anyway. :)

I've always worked with 3 M's at a time, presently M7 with Tom Abrahamsson RapidWinder's attached, obviously with different lenses, as changing a lens always left the possibility of missing a picture moment while changing. And on a fast moving assignment even with 3 cameras at ones finger tips a picture can still be missed.;-)

In my many years I've never heard of any discrepancies chrome to black during use and the only preference one to the other that I re-call, has been for the "look of chrome to black or vise verse." Some folks like pretty and there's those of us who prefer black for functionality and looking cheaper, like black point & shoots!

And as I've always used black since they were available because they don't look like priceless shining jewels hanging off my neck and not to draw attention to myself where I'm trying to be absolutely discreet as possible.

I trust this is an acceptable answer for you and once again I offer my apology. ted

"DOCTORS' WORK" book http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant/ Ted Grant Photography Limited

S&les from "Women in Medicine" book project http://www.sandycarterphotography.com/WomenInMedicine.htm

Andrew I have used a 35mm and a 90mm Hexanon-M on my M6TTL and they both worked perfectly without any problems. Also consider the current Elmar-M 50mm/f2.8 which is a very good and totally underrated lens. Around USD350.00 used.

Ronnie don't get too upset with the tone from some people. I have been frequenting Leica forums since last June and it appears to be quite normal for people to be very rude to each other. It's unbelievable really since most of them seem to be well educated, mature adults. They do however act like children much of the time.

If you stick around long enough (please do) you will get to know who they are and be able to just ignore them as soon as you see their names. I would say that there are many people on this forum who are civil and willing to help with questions, and that such people form the vast majority of members.

> Thanks Ted, for your experiences: black is probably more discreet. > Regards, R. Aker

>Yes all very good this last message to try and bring it back to reallity. Thiis strain has gone tooo far. All Leica is durable and color is your thing! Not Neg. but equipment. I shoot an old 50 Sumicron chrome on black body, with tons of fungus, and use it! Quit this pedanticness and go! People are so hyperaware of them being photographed now it does not matter what your camera looks like. My advice is buy cheap. It pays.

Hang in there Ronnie! most of us are here to listen to your questions and provide objective answers where possible. We've all had questions, it's just that some of us have had them answered over the years.
Colin

> If you have a chrome body, get a chrome lens. If a black body, get a > black lens. If some other color body, get both.

> For 99.9% of the uses of the lens there will be no difference. In the > remaining 0.1% the difference will be very small. If you need extra > weight, because you need to use the camera as a weapon maybe, then use > chrome even with a black body (but not black paint, that shouldn't be > used as a weapon anyway).

When you get some pictures let us seem them!

> - marc > A new picture: http://homepage.mac.com/attinasi/PhotoAlbum45.html

> Marc, Those are really nice. Beautiful work on both the starry night, and the fog. Great tone and gradation. Now the question is were these taken with a black or a chrome lens, and by any chance was it a 90mm??? ;-} Best wishes and happy picture taking, Jack

> I'm glad you like them! > The lens was black, as was the camera, but the lens was not a 90 ... > truth be told, it was an Olympus OM4 and 50mm f1.2 Zuiko (Scala @400)

- marc

Back