DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma 170500mm Zoom

peke

Does anyone have an experience with Sigma's 170-500mm lens or know of any reviews anywhere??? I plan on using it with an N90S & D100.

> I'm afraid we don't do "SIGMA" here, Canon, Leica may be considered > perhaps!!! Sorry can't help

Hi,

I have had one for a couple of years. I only use it hand held so the shots are not razor sharp sometimes due to camera shake. One thing that I have noticed is that it is just as sharp wide open as it is one or two stops down.

Ron

Hi Mike,

Try www.photozone.de for a huge compilation of lens tests. These are user reviews and are quite well organized and presented in an easy to read table format. The Sigma does not come off too well here, rating 2.34 out of 5.00 ("sub-average") based on 34 reviews. You can also access this site through www.nikonlinks.com where you will find additional sources of information. Don't know if anyone else has reviewed this lens. Check www.photographyreview.com, they may have information on Sigma gear. All the best,

Greg

> Hello all, The Sigma 170/500 is not bad. It is a zoom of great interest for many shots taken quickly and (obviously) in the telephoto range. I use it a lot. I run a test with other lenses and the result is that quality is the same as the Tokina 150/500 and about the same of the tamron cata 500. I would not enlarge much the images (up to 8x10 only) and in that range is not bad. Bigger enlargements require a different lens. I have also a Nikon 300/2.8 and the images are very different when enlarged more than 8x10 Best Regards Franco Mascagni

HI ALL AS A NEW USER OF A NIKON D70 I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A SIGMA 135-400 MM LENSE AS I MANLY TAKE SPORT /WILDLIFE AND WAS ON A TIGHT BUDGET CAN ANY ONE TELL ME THE BEST SETTINGS TO PUT THIS LENSE ON I HAVE TRYED PUTTING ON THE SPORT MODE AND SETTING THE THE ISO BETWEEN 400-500 AS IT ALLWAYS SEEMS TO BE DULLER WEATHER HEAR IN DEVON BUT IAM STILL GETTING AVERAGE REASULTS

Waiting anxiously to purchase one.
The D2x seems almost nowhere available worldwide (perhaps only in Asia), is there something wrong. Can Nikon not deliver in due time or has there been other (technical discovered or other shortcoming) problems preventing Nikon from supplying retailers? Vendors in Europe en USA complain. Nikon however does not reply when asked........
Anyone got any news?

Back